It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hummingbird in Nature
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:33 pm 

Some folks consider Humming Birds pets so here is a link to some photos that an individual took in her back yard.

This is truly amazing! Be sure to click on NEXT PAGE at the bottom of each page...there are four pages. Adults and children will find this very interesting. Enjoy!!!

This lady found a humming bird nest and got pictures all the way from the egg to leaving the nest. Took 24 days from birth to flight. Very neat and good pictures. Be patient as each photo comes up. It is worth it.

Click here:
http://community-2.webtv.net/hotmail.co ... gBirdNest/

Post subject: hummers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:21 pm 

Thank you for sending those pictures! :D They are great! Do you or anyone else know why the other baby bird was ejected? :( Is this normal for hummers?

Post subject: bye bye birdie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:31 pm 

A bird person may have to find the answer to your question. Should be one along shortly, I hope. I'd like to know also.

It appeared that the nest could hold only one bird.
It appeared that one one egg was layed then a second at some point in time although they both hatched the same day.
One would have to know if a double is common for hummers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:16 am 

I don't know about hummers rejecting their babies, but last summer I sat by a creek in Colorado and watched a water woozle (I guess that's how you spell it) for over an hour as she fed her young. There were two babies in the nest and she fed the same one each time. She made over a dozen trips up and down the creek getting bugs, and each time she came back to the nest both babies stuck their heads out, opened their beaks wide and cheeped like crazy. But she gave the bug to the same one each time; I finally had to stop watching because I felt sorry for the other one! I don't know if it ever got fed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:53 pm 

I don't reconize the bird mentioned but you've got me to thinking about this special condition.

Could it be in that bird's DNA that says "I only have one!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:33 pm 

The water woozle is a small bird that I've only seen in Colorado on the rivers/creeks (doesn't mean it's not other places, though!) I think that's what it is called, I'll have to go home tonight and look it up in my bird book. It is really fun to watch; it bobs up and down on the rocks in the water like it's dancing and then dives in. She had her nest on a rock ledge on a small cliff above the water. The one she kept feeding was always on the left; I kept hoping the other baby would figure it out and change places. Or maybe there was already something wrong with it. Unlike humans, who expend extra effort on the helpless, animals go by "survival of the fittest".