It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:00 am 

We have 2 labs - male been on Muenster about 3 years and female about 3 or 4 months. We just got the female from an expecting couple who couldn't keep her. I'm not sure what she was eating before. But she, both of them, are CRAZY about the food. They know exactly when it is time to eat and tell you. Our male will bring his bowl to you, if he thinks you have forgotten.

We have never had issues with fleas on our male, even when we lived in Burleson with surrounding neighbors with other dogs, horses, etc. But, for some reason, they are showing up now. We have lived in Mansfield for about a year, and none of our neighbors have animals. I would think the female has been on Muenster long enough now that she would be in considerably better health.

Yard - Which is better - BN or DE? I think I read on another post that you shouldn't apply them at the same time. So if I wanted to be aggressive and apply both, how long between applications should I wait? Which should I apply first?

House - I haven't really noticed them in the house, but I think I will treat the carpet anyway. Only the bedrooms have carpet. How much DE should I put down? How long do I wait before vacuuming?

Pets - I saw that HG suggested orange oil in their shampoo. How much? Is the orange oil or orange peel rinse more effective? How many orange peels should I boil?

Thanks in advance,
Bianca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:24 am 

Hopefully someone who knows something will chime in. A friend told us their dog got some sort of 'monster' fleas that could not be killed by anything so hope you don't have these.

We've had good luck dusting our dog w/DE whenever we saw a flea + adding a little to her food for a few days.

I think if you dust your carpets w/DE you need to sprinkle it & make sure it reaches every spot, corner, etc. I'd leave it a few days, at least. A light dusting would be enuf, I'd think.

BN are best for the yard.

Good luck-

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:27 am 

Oh, PS-get a bottle of orange oil from the feed store and add maybe 1/2 ounce ? to the shampoo. You can use the orange oil for lots of other things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:15 am 

Nematodes are always better for control of all life cycles. DE and orange oil will only kill the adults that are around - and will also kill beneficial insects.