It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:49 pm 

:cry: I have a Montmercy (sp?) Cherry tree that I planted approximately 5 years ago. I was very careful about not overly amending the soil, and it doesn't appear to be planted too deeply.

This year it actually produced about 12-15 nice, tart, cherries, which really surprised me. I planted the tree because it was so pretty, not expecting to actually get fruit here in Fort Worth.

It has done extremely well for the last 5 years, but this year, after it produced fruit, it's started looking very ragged. Sparce leafs, no new growth. I haven't been able to spot any insects really bothering it, but the few leafs it has are semi-dry and brittle. Before, it has always been a full, rounded, green ball during summer. I was wary of giving it more water since we had all the rain this June, but now I'm at a loss as to whether to just wait it out, or if there was something I can do to help it along.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone has! I just hate to lose such a pretty tree.

Terry in Fort Worth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:52 pm 

What sort of fertilization program are you using?

It might be that the tree, being burdened with fruit for the first time, needs just a tad more attention than in past years.

I'd hit the yard with a nice organic fertilizer, apply the sick tree treatment, and see how it responds.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.