It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:26 am 

Hi ... Somewhere around 2010 or earlier my healthy red oak (10 years old?) got some strange little ants in it and then began showing dark wet spots on the lower trunk. Butterflies, wasps, etc were drawn to this liquid and feasted upon it. More appeared and the trunk began, as the years passed, to loosen and more queer bugs appeared - think grey roach type things with abrupt jerking movement. I am in the Rockdale, Taylor, Elgin triangle with acid sandy loam over yellow clay and ochre (think blueberries). Now my persimmon 100 yards away just lost a bunch of leaves and is exhibiting some of the same symptoms. I am overjoyed to now see the Sick Tree Treatment and it is being implemented as I type. I am very nervous because the damage to the trunks is now severe. I have been trying to get help/advice for a couple of years but am really serious now. Advise and I will keep you updated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:54 pm 

The insects are a sign of the plant in distress, they aren't the cause of it.

Did you plant the trees? Do you know about the problem that often occurs when trees are planted too deep in the ground? In addition to the sick tree treatment, you need to expose the trunk flare if it is buried. Take a look at Howard's instructions for planting trees to see if your trees need to have some dirt CAREFULLY removed from around the base.

Root flare newsletter.

Does it look like this:

or this? (The correct appearance is this one below)

You also need to consider what has been used near the tree - has it been in an organic program? Are chemicals or herbicides being used in the area? Do you have a sprinkler system - is the tree possibly getting too much or too little water?

Check for organic businesses in your area. If you are serious, the fastest approach might be to consult a couple of arborists and see what they say, get a couple of bids for the work. http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/advance_business_listings/