It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:51 pm 

I have increased limb die-off and general browning on 6 old, well-established, tall (50') pine trees. A neighbor has lost 6-7 pines of near the same age which started their demise displaying the same symptoms. I have noticed elsewhere in town similar catastrophes. My neighbor and I live on the South Shore of Lake Lewisville on a hill with red-rock, sandy clay soil with rapid percolation. Other trees which have died off in this general area are not necessarily under precisely the same conditions, except for the drought.

Any causative circumstances come to mind? Any recommendations as to what to check out as well as solutions or treatments?

We will most surely appreciate any thoughts/help.

Richard J. Bryant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:30 pm 

What SORT of pines are they, do you know?

That'd go a long way toward narrowing it down. Could be nothing more tan the unfortunate weather we've had in the last year with the seasons all messed up and rainfall so widely spaced.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:34 am 

Hi Doc,
I live on the border of hardiness zones 7-8 in Cleburne,TX and we've experienced extreame drought here. I have one Slash Pine Tree that is suffering worse than the others. I've been watering this tree more than the others to help it deal with the intense heat. It is about 25 ft. tall. It has only a very little green left at the base of the needles next to the stems. Even the knew growth has turned brown. We live on a sandy / red clay mix of soil.
Normaly you would not fertize in this intense heat, because it would burn up the roots and cause more damage. This tree needs all the help it can get. If I added your Garrett Juice would it help it or burn it up? Or do you have any other advice? I'm desperate to save this tree. It's one of my oldest.

Lynn