It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:39 pm 

Does anyone know what natural/herbal things I can use to draw infection out of my 7 yr old daughter's toe? It looks bad, and she is the worst patient there is, but the natural approach doesn't seem to scare her as much as going to the Dr's office. Thanks for any ideas! Jane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:38 am 

Jane, it might help to know what's causing the infection -- did she get a splinter, an infected spider bite, or what?

In general, I'd try soaking the foot in very warm water with epsom salts; if the skin is broken, and the epsom salts hurt, you can make a compress with a towel soaked in hot water. Soak for 15-20 minutes, then dry it off and put rescue remedy cream over the area and bandage it; you could also try using echinacea and/or calendula creams instead of the rescue remedy. Repeat twice a day, if you can. If the area is painful to the touch, give her homeopathic hepar sulph 30c twice a day; if the area is not tender, use homeopathic silicea 30c instead. Do not use both hepar sulph and silicea, because they will cancel each other out. Even though it's a localized infection, I'd also add high doses of vitamin C to boost the overall immune system.

Judith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:50 am 

The infection started as a hangnail that I thought I got rid of, but with a wiggly-screaming-crying patient , either some was left or just got infected anyway. The hangnail is on the side of her toenail. Thanks for the advise. I have soaked her feet in warm (not too hot) water with Epsom salts added in my foot bath bubbler-heater-massage thingy and she tolerates that. Her toe is still red, but no streaks going up her leg, and she says that is feels better. I hope she isn't just telling me that so I'll leave her alone, but she is walking better and complaining less. Thanks again for the advise, I think we are on the way to getting better and I will try your other creams-oils too. Thanks a bunch!