It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:59 pm 

:wink: I thank Kathe Kitchens for bringing this to my attention:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, December 14, 2006

TCEQ Encourages Consumers to Recycle Used Electronics this Holiday Season

An estimated 1.3 million computers could be recycled annually.

Every holiday season, millions of Texans receive new home electronics. But as quickly as the latest television, computer, digital camera, cellular phone, video game console, or mp3 player is unwrapped, the older model is quickly discarded—usually in a closet or an attic.

“In this season of giving, we want to encourage consumers to donate their used electronic items, instead of throwing them away,” said Matt Baker, division director of the Small Business and Environmental Assistance division at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). “Often these products are still in perfectly good working condition, and can be recycled for reuse, or disassembled and sold for parts.”

Based on a study by the National Recycling Coalition, about 1.5 million computers are taken out of service in Texas annually, and only an estimated 162,000 are recycled, leaving more than 1.3 million units that aren’t recycled. “Even if your computer is several years old, it is still valuable,” said Baker. “An average personal computer typically contains 40 percent steel, 30 to 40 percent plastic, 10 percent aluminum and 10 percent other metals, including copper, gold, silver, cadmium, and platinum—all recyclable,” said Baker.

To find a recycler near you, the TCEQ has published an updated version of its statewide computer and electronics recycler locator guide, located in the “Hot Topics” column of the TCEQ home page, http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/.

In addition, take-back programs are also being offered by some makers of computers and mp3 players, to promote recycling. Contact your manufacturer for details. Local charitable associations and nonprofit organizations are also in need of “almost new,” working electronics including computers, televisions, video game consoles and digital cameras. Often these groups have a year-round necessity, and can find a new home for your used electronics.

If you donate to a non-profit, you can use it as an income tax deduction, which means YOU can decide how the government spends at least some of your money! Besides, it just makes sense to recycle! 8)

--Nadine

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Last edited by Nadine on Sat May 12, 2007 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:17 pm 

Thanks Nadine I've added this link to my favorites, since recycling is very important to me too! Do you know about Freecycle? It's on the web, it's a grass roots community recycling program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:59 pm 

Yes, in fact I am a member of freecycle.org! I gave away a Kirby Vacuum cleaner to someone who needed one. It was great to help someone out. I had just received another newer model, so it was good to get rid of the old one. I encourage everyone to join freecycle.org today!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach