It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:01 am 

I finally ponied up and joined :). I've been reading the site for a year at least -- better late than never I guess.

Basically I know nothing about plants, gardening, etc. -- not even sure what zone I'm in (been told too many different things) -- but I've always loved and at least "tried" to keep plants, and my garden, such as it is, is my salvation, my sanctuary - the place that keeps me on this earth.

Some photos are online at my Mom-in-laws memorial site --
JoyceLestenePerry.com

Click Memories, then Image Gallery to get there :)

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:21 am 

Welcome-6ft! You sound like most of us, then we rely on the others who really are experts to post all the info!
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:37 pm 

Hi, 6ftbrunette. Welcome to the forum. :)

I see you're in Mesquite too. I've entered my zip code on every garden related site that I've been on that has a zone-finder, and every one of them says we're in zone 8. So I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that you're in Zone 8.

If you want to get real specific, you're probably in zone 8a1, according to my Dallas Planting Manual by the Dallas Garden Club. Though I don't know why anyone would need to get that specific. :roll:

Sorry about your Mom-in-law. Your "flower tower" is pretty cool.

I'm another one of those who's not quite sure what in the world I'm doing, but I'm reading and listening (and learning!) alot, and just trying my best to do it right and enjoy every minute I can spend in my garden.

Michelle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:54 am 

Quote:
Hi, 6ftbrunette. Welcome to the forum. :)

I see you're in Mesquite too. I've entered my zip code on every garden related site that I've been on that has a zone-finder, and every one of them says we're in zone 8. So I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that you're in Zone 8.

If you want to get real specific, you're probably in zone 8a1, according to my Dallas Planting Manual by the Dallas Garden Club. Though I don't know why anyone would need to get that specific. :roll:

Hello fellow 'Mesquite-ite" :) Zone 8 sounds good to me. I have been told anything from 7 - 10. I'm bettin 8 is correct, and I doubt I'll ever need the a1 designation, but it's good to know. Thank You.

Quote:
Sorry about your Mom-in-law. Your "flower tower" is pretty cool.

Thanks. Life sucks and then you die is the mantra right now, but we will get through this too.
The Flower Tower seemed the natural thing to do with the 50 foot Ham Radio tower in our yard -- since we aren't radio operators. :)

Quote:
I'm another one of those who's not quite sure what in the world I'm doing, but I'm reading and listening (and learning!) alot, and just trying my best to do it right and enjoy every minute I can spend in my garden.

Me too, me too, me too. I am outside 90% of the time -- even in bad weather I cannot go long without some "outdoors time".

Post subject: Re: hello
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:58 am 

pjva wrote:
Welcome-6ft! You sound like most of us, then we rely on the others who really are experts to post all the info!
Patty

Thats ME! I'm REALLY glad I joined this group -- learning a lot.
I even listened to Howard online yesterday for the first time ever. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:26 am 

Glad to hear ya'll are on the right track! I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My brother died 4 1/2 years ago. We were really close and it still hurts. However, he loved the outdoors as much as I do so I think of him often when I'm planting things (can't really call it gardening most of the time!). I've been organic for several years and can't believe people still use the toxic stuff when we have so many alternatives in the north Texas area. Keep listening to Howard but keep your mind open, too. One thing he tells everyone to do is to tidy up the garden and mow the leaves into mulch. Lots of insects overwinter in leaf litter and many other bugs use standing cover for winter protection as well. I wait until things first start popping out in spring before I "clean everything up".
Enjoy the outdoors and don't think you can't get along with a few spiders and bees around.