It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:55 pm 
Hi all,

I'm Shirley Jo, I retired from IBM in '92, I'm a Dallas native, recently relocated to far Van Zandt County. I'm a tree-hugging, dirt worshipping vegetarian trying to pass in East Texas!

I built a new "old house" (from old-house plans) back in the woods. I'm going to keep it natural, just add some native trees, shrubs, and flowers around the house and up to the road, and have nature trails through the wild woods out back. I've been a "naturalscaper" and organic for years.
Out here I'm on sugar sand, and I've got river maples, oaks, persimmons, hollies, mexican plums, wax myrtles, berries(dew?), virginia creeper, wild grapes, all kinds of vines including poison ivy....

I'm going to need lots of help for out here, though! I'm all by myself, and I've been pulling nasty thorny vines out of trees, cutting them up and baling them and moving them to my burn pile, but I can't even burn them until I can mow all the high weeds around the burn pile and I don't even have a lawn tractor yet! I got bitten by a copperhead that I'd invited up with all my piles of vines.... I didn't hurt him, though.

I'm glad to "meet" all these fine folks on here, bet I'll get lots of help, y'all seem like my kind of people!

Post subject: OUCH THAT BITES
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:37 pm 

Shirley Jo,

Welcome to the DD board and have fun with your retirement and East Texas.

Snake bit? May not be the last. Do you carry a cell phone while you work out yander?

One tuff lady! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:10 pm 

Hi Shirley Jo.
I live in Rains County.
We are practically neighbors.

Post subject: Howdy Ya'll!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:48 pm 
Howdy Ya'll! I am new to this board. I stumbled across it right after I signed up on WBAP's website. It is wonderful!!!

I am a dyed in the wool listener to Howard on Sunday Mornings. I just don't feel right the rest of the day if I miss it!!!

I live near Wichita Falls and am an Organic Rancher. I have been in the Feed Business for almost 17 yrs and have tried to "sway" people away from the pesticides that not only kill the bugs but kills the people too!!!

I just wanted to take a few minutes and introduce myself. I will be back daily to enjoy all the wonderful Ideas that Ya'll have!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:25 am 

imacutecowgirl2000 :D
Welcome aboard our Organic Train. Glad to hear that you have been organic for many years. You will enjoy this forum with the many questions, answers, and peoples experiences. We all learn from each other and their past experiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:22 am 

Hi Shirley. Stephen F. Austin University in Nacogdoches has an excellent arboritum where they grow plants native to east Texas. Their web site is http://www.sfasu.edu/ag/arboretum/index.htm. Check it out - it's very informative! Twice a year they have a plant sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:25 am 

Sorry, I just tried to click on the link on my previous post and it didn't work. This is the correct one:
http://www.sfasu.edu/ag/arboretum/

(take the index.htm off the one I said originally.)