It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:56 am 

I've been a fan of Howard G. for many years. I have a few antique roses, a few fruit and pecan trees, native and adapted perennials, and a vegetable plot, though this record heat and drought in Central TX is very rough on everything right now. We have 12 goats and 5 laying hens and 3 pet roosters, though one is leaving as soon as I can catch him; he screams more than crows when he opens his beak.

I have signed up to begin the classes for Master Gardener in our County. I knew the Ext. Agent would not be committed to organics, but was a bit taken aback when the president said "the problem with organic approach is that there are no standards based on science." It was not the time or place to object, but other than saying there are several thousand years of human trials when the hunter-gatherers realized they could cultivate their food, what are some good arguments to his statement? I want to make my case without being confrontational.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Ext. Agents and Master Gardeners are funded by organizations who get a lot of money from the chemical companies, so they are programmed to deny the success of the natural organic programs. In fact, there is a ton of research that shows that natural organic programs and products perform better and are more cost effective. You can find a lot of this research at The Texas Organic Research Center: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/org_research/