It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:44 pm 

Now that I have gotten started on the Captain's path - I would like to find out how to make certain "brews" for different reasons - like, what is a good recipe for an organic root stimulator? What would a good recipe for organic seed-starting mixture contain?
And, Captain - you will be pleased to hear - I bought an aquarium pump while I was at the pet supply store - and I am starting my own home brews!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:28 am 

Congratulations!

Sounds like you're on the right path. You can't go wrong with aerobic teas. I use in in my composting, foliar and soil drenches, on my lawn and garden, etc.

Adjust your teas recipes for various NPK needs if necessary, based on the needs of your plants.

Generally high bacterial teas for perfect for high nitrogen feeding plants.
Generally high fungal teas are perfect for flowering, fruiting plants or root crops.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:37 am 

I have been told that soaking pecan shells in heated water draws out the gibberilins & glycosides (sp?) and the strained liquid makes an excellent root stimulator. It also dyes anything and everything it touches a red-brown, so be careful! I have used just plain old seaweed as a pre-planting seed soak to great success. You might check with your city before you go get a load of fish parts! I can't do that because of regulations in my city. Have fun! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:01 am 

Normally when I get fresh or canned fish wastes, I try to decompose it in several closed 5 gallon buckets, mixed with 50/50 fish waste and heavy carbon materials like sawdust, dirt, or leaves. I add a cup of dry molasses to the moist mixture to speed up decomposition. Then after a week or longer, I'll add some of this paste into my aerated compost tea recipes, as a homemade fish meal tea. Adding more dry molasses to the tea brew for microbial growth, odor control, and faster decomposition again.

I just inherited about $500.00 worth of old out of date, free, large bags of dog and cat feeds from a local farm feed supply store that I do business with. This is also a meat product, loaded with chicken, beef, and fish meals, plus vitamins. I think I'm going to only use it in my hot compost piles, and maybe mix it in the fish waste/sawdust buckets for better decomposition, with less stinky smells.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton