It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Howard's stinger problem
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:35 am 

What were the two homeopathic (?) treatments for the "Texas yellowjacket" stings Howard mentioned on his program this past weekend? It sounded like he was saying "bioron" and "apic molleca" as best I remember. Also, where might these be sold? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:54 pm 

The brand name is Boiron. This specific formulation is Apis mellifica. The species is also curiously spelled mellifera and mellisica. The product used to drench the nest was Eco-PCO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:05 pm 

Would it be considered organo-politically incorrect to deal with an under-rock yellowjacket nest with a half stick of dynamite? I am allergic and vengeful by nature.... those little buggers HURT!

Not sure about the environmental impact on that one but since the statute of limitations is up and I am in a different state i can confirm a 100% kill rate with that method.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:49 pm 

I learned several years ago from "Organic Gardening" magazine to promptly soak a cotton ball in vinegar and tape over a sting for an hour. It works for yellow jackets and wasps, I know for sure. It does not swell, hurt, or itch.
For fire ant stings, the juice/sap from the Devil's Claw plant works wonders. The sap from the leaves, seed pod while still green, or stems works. The blisters do not even form. I discovered this out of desperation a few years ago.
To completely get rid of fireant beds, fill any container half full of cow manure and fill on up with water. Let set a few days, then pour full strength on the bed. They disappear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:06 pm 

Fermented manure? There's a new one. If someone poured that on my house I'd leave too. :lol:

Always good to know a way to be rid of those nasty critters!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:58 pm 

What is the name of the battery operated device that Howard used to shock the bee/wasp/hornet stings with????

Post subject: Mole Crickets
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:54 am 

Identified through Howard's bug book. Despite our best efforts, beneficial nematodes and all the soil amendments, I have a horrible infestation of the mole cricket in my back yard. I'm losing the battle. The bermuda is being eaten at a prodigious rate.
What can I do?
Mike

Post subject: Mole Crickets Mess
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:33 pm 

Have you applied beneficial nematodes? They usually take them out during the soft body stage...an infestation of mole crickets usually means that you have some other type of smaller insect that is food because many are carniverous. However, there are a few that are grass feeders and that may be what you have.

Compost, molasses and nematodes ought to increase the biological activity enough to take out the crickets by short-circuiting their life cycle. Diatomaceous earth or the plant oils sprays like Bioganic or Eco-Exempt should work too but they kill off beneficials so try the less dramatic method first. Don't forget the gorey but effective "bug juice" where you take a few (6 - 10) of the target insect, soak them in water, make a spray and spray it around. We used this in past years with cricket and grasshopper infestations and though it was distaseful, it was very effective.

Good luck!
Kathe :D

Post subject: Re: Mole Crickets Mess
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:56 pm 

Kathe Kitchens wrote:
Don't forget the gorey but effective "bug juice" where you take a few (6 - 10) of the target insect, soak them in water, make a spray and spray it around. We used this in past years with cricket and grasshopper infestations and though it was distaseful, it was very effective.

That sounds so... organic! For crying out loud! ;-)