It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Snake repellant
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:53 pm 

My husband and I bought a pre-owned house two years ago, and although the house is in a well-populated residential neighborhood -- it's snakey in this neighborhood.

We've had one snake in the house (12 inch rat snake) and today while I was weeding, a small garden snake popped up right out of the ground.

How can I repel snakes from my yard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:37 pm 

Have you considered how benificial they are? Box them up and send them to me. :wink:

Post subject: sneaky snakes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:38 am 

We've had one snake in the house (12 inch rat snake) and today while I was weeding, a small garden snake popped up right out of the ground.

How can I repel snakes from my yard?

12 inch snake. wow :roll: . I had a corn snake (or something like that) that must been 3-5 feet long. This how I met him.

We had a rabbit that somehow come in and out of our yard. One day i saw her and notice some little guys as well. Immediately, she was trying to hide away. Every bunny hid somewhere. The first thought was they where hiding way from me. So I sat down in a chair to rest in the yard away from the rabbits. But I noticed that the mama keep on jumping back and forth over and over. So I went inside the house. When I came out, the rabbit was gone to another area of the yard. I look over the place where she kept jumping back and forth. Then I saw something moving in the lawn. My goodness. It was a snake!! BIG SNAKE!!Seemly, the rabbit and bunnies were being hunted by the snake. So we got a broom and put the reptile in a trash can. The snake was not easy to grab with a broom. It was trying to hide quickly.as possible. Finally it "hid" in the can. It was hissing angrily. We put it in somewhere else.when we put it down, it was rattling leaves and stood in a striking position to be scary. It then ran(or crawled) for its life. I thought that was cool. A snake in my yard.
I like snakes, and I don't see what is so scary about them.

By the way, the garden (green) snake is so harmless that a child can hold it in his hands. At least I did when I was a child. It is as harmless and much like the anoles.

Tree Dude

Last edited by Tree Dude on Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:20 am 

I would be wary of anyone offering a "snake repellent" organic or otherwise. The only way I know to discourage snakes is to eliminate their habitat and food source.

OTOH, as has been mentioned, the snakes you have mentioned are quite harmless are are beneficial. Once they have eliminated some likely pests, that are located on or very near your property, they will likely move on on their own to another location.

If that solution is not near term enough, perhaps someone in the neighborhood might be willing to catch and relocate them for you.