It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:47 pm 

We feed it to the dog in dry form but not the livestock.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:45 pm 

What rate do you feed the powder your dogs?

Is there a specific brand that you have found to be more palatable to the dogs?

I feed (have fed) a variety of tablets/wafers to our Boxer. She loves the "treats". They are usually a combination of yeast & garlic. The current brand is PetGuard. Ingredients shown: Brewers Yeast, Primary Grown Yeast, Garlic Powder, Vegetable Oil. Additionally, we add a couple of Tbs of Flax Oil to her dry kibble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:50 pm 

Sounds like a good program to me. I just sprinkle some missing link and Sams garlic powder on top of her Muenster dog food.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:43 pm 

Tony M,

Yes, it works for her. You know Boxer's are known for their tempermental digestive systems :roll: We have fed the Missing Link product in the past, but switched over to the Flax Oil and I think she prefers it. Neither approach is exactly cost effective, but that's not my primary goal.

Do you use a particular ratio of the garlic powder, or just a sprinkle or two? I was disappointed that the brewers yeast and garlic tabs I used last Summer did not deter a significant flea infestation.

It was our first ever problem with fleas. Based on her overall health and beautiful coat condition, I am pretty well convinced that the assertions that parasites such as fleas and ticks are drawn only to animals in poor health is some hooey. She is an inside dog venturing outside only into my yard which has been organic since our taking over 10 years ago. Oddly enough I had allowed several fire ant beds to exist in the lawn as they are allegedly predators of fleas/ticks.

Post subject: garlic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:59 am 

fire ants will eliminate ticks and termites. We lived in E Tx years ago and the ticks and termites disappeared, but I didn't see any difference in fleas. We tried garlic tabs and didn't see any improvement.
I buy garlic in a liquid at varoius stores to put in 5 gal bucket with water. I then filter solids out and use the liquid for spraying on pastures with our sea water, humate, and molasses.
Do you suppose that the liquid from garlic would be better than tablets? Liquid might soak into Muenster food better than powder.
Is garlic supposed to be good for anything other than fleas?
Robert D Bard

Post subject: garlic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:23 pm 

Since we do not use grain, we started using ground up alfalfa. We mix DE and humates with dry molasses. It works well as the cows and horses love it.
Robert D Bard