It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Free Mulch???
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:02 pm 

I live in a small town. The city picks up all the tree limbs in town and with a chipper we have a HUGE pile of free mulch. 25'x30'x6' I have a small garden (16x24) with clay in the soil. Should I use the free mulch not knowing what tree mulch I will be getting? I can get as many truck loads I want. Also just getting into organic gardening what do I need to put in the soil for the Spring planting?

newbie gardener,

John :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:21 pm 

Also I have a large koi and goldfish pond 5600 gallons. I'm draining it to clean it out. Should I put all the yuck from the bottom of the pond in the garden?

Thanks,

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:23 pm 

John,

Stop immediately! Don't attempt to use the "yuck", please deliver it to me and I will dispose of it appropriately :D

My little 30 gal tropical aquarium doesn't generate enough "yuck" to keep my potted plants happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:41 pm 

John, I have been getting free mulch from our dump for three years. Not once have I seen anything to make me fear using it. I place it around and under all my trees and use it in my garden. I believe the risks of there being some herbacides or something else or not great in our dump compost pile. Maybe more to worry about in bigger city compost pile. I get more compost every time I am able.

Dave

Post subject: Re: Free Mulch???
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:55 pm 

aggie7_45 wrote:
I live in a small town. The city picks up all the tree limbs in town and with a chipper we have a HUGE pile of free mulch. 25'x30'x6' I have a small garden (16x24) with clay in the soil. Should I use the free mulch not knowing what tree mulch I will be getting? I can get as many truck loads I want. Also just getting into organic gardening what do I need to put in the soil for the Spring planting?

That mulch should be fine (watch for fire ants and other critters when you handle it). As for the garden soil, finished compost is an important ingredient. You probably will profit from reviewing the Dirt Doctor's Basic Organic Program and other material at, or linked from, the home page here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:38 pm 

If I were you I would get several loads of that mulch to start a big compost pile with if you have room... mix in some manure if you can, alfalfa pellets if you can't and wet it down with a molasses spray. By Spring you can have it finished and use it everywhere.

As to the pond.... put all of that fish waste and algae in your compost pile, great stuff.