It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Growing herbs...
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:12 am 

I have rosemary, thyme, lemon balm, and bay leaf planted in some 5-6" diam pots but the thyme is dying and the rosemary is turning brown from the base and up. They are inside and get light from windows. I water them sparingly, maybe twice a week. They are planted in Miracle-Grow potting mix.
What am I doing wrong and how should these be cared for in the future? :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:58 am 

Move the plants outside and add compost and other organic products to that "sterile" potting soil.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:08 am 

I've moved the plants outside, into a shady area with morning and evening sun. The rosemary still looks dry. Will it come out of it?
This is my first try with herbs and I'm not sure how much water they need.......how sensitive are they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:07 am 

Just curious as to why you are growing them in pots when most herbs are so tough and thrive planted in the ground? Most of the herbs I grow do very well in pretty poor soil with little care. I planted a rosemary about 10 years ago in a rocky and sandy raised area. I never water, never fertilize, and basically neglect it. That plant started out as a 4" transplant and is now about 6-7 feet wide and about 4 ft tall. I also have some germader, thyme, catnip, sage, russian sage, lavender, oregano (requires some supplemental water), cilantro, tansy, pennyroyal (requires supplemental water), and wild mint of some species that grows wild here. If you have the space, plant some of your herbs and let them just grow as you would wildflowers. Oh, forgot to mention the borage. It also seems to do well with very little care. Wish you luck with your herbs, but from what I have seen, they are not plants that need pampering, and mine seem to actually do well without my help, as opposed to vegetables that die if they are not babied, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:31 am 

timw

Don't be discouraged. Once you achieve success with growing herbs, the failures will fade quickly from your memory. I went through several attempts at growing a rosemary bush until I finally had one that survived more than a season. The one I have now began like the others as a 4" transplant. They were all planted in the same spot (within 2') in a well prepared bed. It is three or four years old produces lovely, but small, blooms and requires little maintenance. I can't walk past it without stroking it and smelling the wonderful smell deposited on my hands.

As HG noted, and I see you have done, these plants need to be outside. The rosemary in particular can tolerate heat and drought. Think Mediterranean climate. I do water mine if it has gone 2-3 weeks without rain, but I don't think the plant cares and I think it is truly for my benefit.

I have had the same difficulties with lavender, but I'm not done yet.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:47 am 

Your rosemary needs sun and less water. Because it was overwatered, it may be stressed and possibly now have spider mites. I know it's nice to have herbs inside, especially in a kitchen window, but the are much happier outside.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan