It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:10 am 

I fear I killed my silverado sage I got a couple of years ago by letting it get too dry this Fall. It's been doing okay and getting to a pretty good size. However this winter it has been dropping most of its leaves. Getting pretty barren now. Don't recall seeing it get that way last winter. Is there any chance at all it'll come back next Spring, or have I done and killed it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:57 pm 

Somewhat related to my original query, do folks ever prune back the silverado sage during the winter? A friend said their gardener has tended to prune back their silverado sages to make them more bushy.

Post subject: Moisture
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:19 pm 

Typically, unless the shrub was just recently planted, the reason you get leaves dropping on that one is too wet of conditions. If this is the native shrub I think you are referring to, and it was an established plant, chances are it somehow got too much water - especially the grey leaved varieties.

If it was newly planted, and the root system not developed enough to take care of watering needs, then yes, you may have the opposite problem. But this is a tough plant to let dry out.

As for pruning, you may try a little bit of pick pruning of totally dead branches, but I'd wait till spring and see what may re-leaf out.

This shrub really is great for xeriscape conditions, an irrigation system can kill it.

214-348-EDEN (3336)
Your Paradise Found