It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:42 pm 

Okay, we're newbies to this organic feeding of our sparce, failing 15 yr. old, 5,000 sq. ft. Bermuda lawn. We bought Turf Thrive for the microbes; we bought a gallon of Garrett Juice Plus; and we bought 100 lbs of cornmeal. We aerated a month ago.

Our question is this: In what order and timing do we apply all of this? Are we missing anything that would help, ie. molasses? Anything else for our first year of organic treatment? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:40 am 

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Garrett/e/B001H6GJLA/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1274276038&sr=1-2-ent

I would highly suggest purchasing a book which will outline everything you need to do. I use "Dear Dirt Doctor" as my bible, I like it because it's Q&A oriented.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:23 pm 

jules_jewel wrote:
Okay, we're newbies to this organic feeding of our sparce, failing 15 yr. old, 5,000 sq. ft. Bermuda lawn. We bought Turf Thrive for the microbes; we bought a gallon of Garrett Juice Plus; and we bought 100 lbs of cornmeal. We aerated a month ago.

Our question is this: In what order and timing do we apply all of this? Are we missing anything that would help, ie. molasses? Anything else for our first year of organic treatment? Thanks!

I am new also so this is like 'the blind leading the blind!'

Here goes!

My first three steps to going Organic was:
Spread dry molasses
Spread Organic Fertilizer
Lay down a compost (very lite layer)
Spray Thrive

I should add that we had just replaced the St.Augustine in our backyard with Celebration (like Bermuda...more shade tolerant). We re-sodded about 3/4 of the front yard with St.Augustine. We had much damage due to fungus.

You can do it all on the same day. I am not sure 'order' matters except for the Thrive. That should be last since it is a spray. I did fertilizer, molasses (also is a red ant treatment), compost and then sprayed Thrive. (I did read that Mr.Garrett said you could mix Thrive and Garrett juice.). (I do suggest that you research the article library on the home page. It is a fountain of valuable info!). I used the Turf Thrive. I hooked it up to my hose. If you are applying that way, I guess you would spray the Garrett Juice before or after. I also sprayed all my plants with Thrive. I sprayed the Thrive after the sun went down. The next morning we had rain so I did not need to water.

About the corn meal. I do not use CM on my bermuda. I spread it once a month on my SA, since my yard is 'prone' to fungus. It does also work as a fertilizer. I am thinking that is why you are using it, since bermuda does not get fungus as easily as SA. Corn Meal Glutten is a preemergent and an fertilizer. Also very good!

There are many soil ammendments that you can use IF you need to improve your soil. That is my goal for this year. Here are some items you might want to research and give thought to:
Lava Sand
Texas Green Sand
Composts-chicken, cow, cattle manure...soybean, cotton bur
(I do not make my own compost. I go 'store bought.)
used coffee grounds (I go to Starbucks FREE!)

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:57 pm 

Thanks Char! That was very helpful, and I will follow your advice.

By the way, I found Soybean meal in Plano and in Aubrey or McKinney. (I read you were looking for it in another post.)

1) Wells Bros in Plano
http://www.wbfarmstore.net

2) D & L Farm and Home in Aubrey or McKinney
http://www.dandlfarmandhome.com

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:26 am 

By the way, I found Soybean meal in Plano and in Aubrey or McKinney. (I read you were looking for it in another post.)

I have been searching! Thank you so much! :D (very happy smile)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:45 am 

You are so welcome!

Like I read somewhere, it's kinda of far to go to get soybean meal ($13/50lb bag), but if you can load up at the beginining of the year and get a year's worth, it's then worth the drive.

I just bought 3 bags (50lbs each) of alfalfa pellets at $10.30 a bag from D & L. Woo hoo! (doing the happy dance!)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:58 pm 

jules_jewel wrote:
You are so welcome!

Like I read somewhere, it's kinda of far to go to get soybean meal ($13/50lb bag), but if you can load up at the beginining of the year and get a year's worth, it's then worth the drive.

I just bought 3 bags (50lbs each) of alfalfa pellets at $10.30 a bag from D & L. Woo hoo! (doing the happy dance!)