It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Carpenter Ants
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:09 pm 

Help! I am trying to figure out if I have Carpenter Ants or Termites. I found a pile of loose earth on the side of the toilet. Since I vacummed it up, it hasn't returned. Also, last year I remember a huge ant pile on the outside of the house - at the other end of the house from the toilet!

Either Carpenter Ants or Termites is a daunting idea since my brother-in-law said that we have to close off the entire house and get a pest service out here to take care of it. With my husband being laid off, that isn't gonna happen financially! I also would rather take care of anything organically, if possible. Any ideas on indentifying which critter it is? Any ideas on how to treat those critters inside my house? outside?
thanks,
Joan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:27 pm 

No suggetions, but if its termites howard usually recommends an organic pest control company.. you can try DE and Oranage Oil, but the up front costs may be better if you let the prof handle it instead of getting tons of damage to the hosue that could cost you more in the long run..

Just my 2 cents..

Post subject: Carpenter Ants/Termites
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:44 am 

Orange oil will kill them on contact. Best to get rid of the damp wood they are coming in after.
Rid-All Pest control is who I would recommend. They are very courteous, professional, and are environmentally friendly as well. I don't know where you live, but you could give them a call. Their website is: http://www.ridall.biz/[/url]

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach