It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:50 pm 

At my local feed store they offer a liquid feed in bulk form that is 32% protein and here is a list of the ingredients'
Cane molasses
urea
ammoniumpolyphosphate
animalfat reserved with ethoxyquin
calcium carbonate
attapulgite clay
anhydrous ammonia
copper sulfate
ethylenediamine dihydricodide
vitamin A supplement
cholecalciferol
zinc sulfate
copper chloride
sodium selenite
ruminant meat and bone meal free
I am trying to go organic on my bermuda hay meadows and this is similiar to what is in sack feed so will this feed the beneficial microbes? Don't want to kill them because I have started using compost tea and the growing season is about over and ya'll say use any kind of feed that is high in protein and this is and it is in a liquid and economical. Should I be safe to use it without killing the microbes? How can I tell if I have lots of microbes in my soil? I want to try some of this at what 1 or 2 gals per acre deluted with water at 10 gals per acre before frost hits in a few weeks(hope not sooner) Thanks for any of ya'lls valuable info,I am new to this sight and have enjoyed reading all of it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:03 pm 

The total sum of protein in that mix is zero. It is full of synthetic nitrogen but no protein.

Do you run your own livestock on the pastures or are you cutting hay and selling it? I'm not sure there is an "economical" way to fertilize bermuda organically if you are going to sell the hay. If you run animals properly, then they and their insect friends will provide all the fertility you need without you having to buy anything...and I mean anything.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:10 pm 

David, I don't understand what you mean about no protein,I am new to this and trying to learn. Wouldn't this be about the same as molasses? Will it harm the microbes? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:49 pm 

Protein fertilizers are the key for true organic soil building.
Proteins contain organic safe balanced forms of nitrogen, not ammonia or ammonium like synthetic fertilizers.

My favorite protein fertilizers are disquised as cattle feeds or animal food products.
I like corn meal, soybean meal, alfalfa meal, etc.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:59 am 

Thanks Captain :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:03 am 

I wouldn't use any type of animal feed unless it was in the form of meal. Liquid and pelleted animal feed is made with oil which is feed grade molasses and is no comparison to Blackstrap Molasses. You will not get the organic fertilizer benefits from most animals feeds in this form. I use only Blackstrap Molasses. I have list of people from a Organic Company that sells Blackstrap Molasses that is certified to be used in organic programs. Let me know where your loacted and I will see if one is near you. It can be bought in 1 gallon to bulk containers and is a lot cheaper than buying from Feed Stores or Oganic Supply Companies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:17 pm 

Thanks Lois,
I would be interested in the black strap molasses and I appreciate what you say about feed. I live in Carthage,Tx. close to Longview,Tx. Let me know,Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:23 pm 

According to the list I have Rowdy Baker is the dealer in that area. Phone number is 903-692-0009. They have 9 dealers in the state of Texas and several types of Organic Fertilizer. Hope this helps.