It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Making a Compost Tumbler
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:23 pm 

We have three 55 gallon plastic barrels, and my husband is going to help me make one or two into compost bins. I want fresh compost in the next couple months to start a raised flower bed in front of our house. We'll roll them about every other day to speed production. I saw a video on YouTube doing it that way and it made sense to me. We have two strapping grown sons who can help with the rolling (if they want to eat, that is). We have plenty brown and green to toss in along with daily kitchen scraps, and I'll add the molasses. I can also add kitty litter but wonder if it matters what type it is. We see plenty of squirrel road-kill along with the odd rat, so figured those wouldn't hurt either.

Wondering if anyone has any input or if this is even a good idea.

With thanks ... Rose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:00 am 

Hi Rose. I don't have a tumbler and don't particularly want one. I have a static pile that never gets turned.

Kitty litter MUST NOT HAVE baking soda in it. Baking soda is a non selective fungicide and will kill your pile. Other than that I don't know enough about the 'crystals' and other gimmicks that go into kitty litter.

In my opinion road kill should probably be left out of tumblers. I have buried animals in my static pile with success, but a tumbler would keep the critter in a repeated state of "uncovered." Uncovered meat smells pretty badly. With my static pile I can keep the critter covered all the time and no smell escapes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:45 am 

You brought out some great points and the info is really helpful ... Thanks! My interest in the tumblers is mainly to speed-up the process for my upcoming projects. I'm also going to start a pile. I decided to only use only brown leaves (bagged/saved from Fall), green grass clippings (we'll do our first mow of the year this weekend & also collect from the neighbors), and kitchen fruit/veggie scraps (have been collecting in freezer bags until ready to thaw & use). Was at the garden center yesterday to checkout all the organic gardening products and grab a few more veggie plants. The cost for the molasses wasn't too bad so will add that too, along with some organic compost/manure mix. My goal is a good healthy mix.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:39 am 

Personally if I was you I would paint one of those barrels black and drill holes into it ,about 20-50 holes all over/around the barrel,place your clippings,grass,scraps etc.water and let stand out in the sun.Every time you add something water it down and keep doing that for about 6 months to a year and you should have good to okay compost.We tried this way at my kids school and the black one made it the quickest.Also if you have a lid for your barrels you can use one of them as a compost spreader by drilling holes in the sides (alot of holes about 100 or more).Put the finished compost in the barrel ,put the lid on and then roll it over the yard.plus it;s a work-out!!. :mrgreen: :lol: