It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:50 am 

I have white, downy looking GUNK on my Hamburg grape vine. It has not hit the Cynthiana Norton or Seibel grape vines.

In addition to this, all three vines have tiny, white, flying bugs. (White flies?) And all three have had caterpillers eating leaves. (HUGE. UGLY.) I know the eventual butterfly will be great. I know that it is a circle of life. I have given over my passion vine to the Gulf Fritter-whatever caterpillers and eventual butterflys. But the GF's did not completely defoliate the passionvine.

This is my justification for the BT I used on the grapevine. I put cornmeal at the base of the vines.

What else do I need to do?
Are they really white flies? Will they do any harm?

I realize the Hamburg vine is not right for North Texas, but it was a gift, and we're trying to keep it going. The Cynthiana Norton is supposed to be resistent to Pierce's disease etc. But that did not stop the caterpillers. UGH. Did I mention how huge and ugly they were?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:24 pm 

Have you been foliar feeding? I have found that this prevents many diseases & conditions that would otherwise take over. The cornmeal should have knocked out your problem for the most part; if you had a large vine you should have used at least 4 cups of cornmeal. around its base Did you work it into the top layer of soil and then water it in or soak it in water and then use it to water your plants? Did you use the strained "corn water" to spray your vines? Seaweed seems to be particularly useful in instances such as this. Let us know how you've fared. We're rooting for you and the grapvines, tho we love the butterfllies too.
:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:38 am 

Have you tried Neem oil on the whiteflies? The oils in that or Ultrafine (parrafin oil) coat their little bug lungs and dissolve their exoskeleton (remeber that oil/latex speech in health class?) so they dehyfrate and die a slow painful death for messin with your vines. I had a huge infestation of them on some Hibiscus a few years ago before I knew about organics and the oil treatments were probably my first organic cures - they also knock out a lot of fungal issues.

The foliar feed with cornmeal 'milk' and seaweed did well on my roses, thanks KK!

Post subject: UPDATE
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:41 am 

Well, the cornmeal, etc. seems to have worked.

I did this all a couple of weeks ago, and am now enjoying the results.

I sprayed Ultrafine first. No more whiteflies here. But it turns out that they are on just about everything elsein my yard. I didn't want to spray everything.

I also sprayed BT for the caterpillars. But after picking off all those we could see, we haven't had a reoccurrence of leaf stubs. (Where the leaves were previously! And there had been the largest caterpillar feces I had ever seen...Huge, UGLY Caterpillars! Urgh.)

The mildew has not gone away completely. But I've been conferring with others, and it seems that the mildew is no big deal, and with the first frost all the leaves will drop anyway.

That about takes care of my poor grapevine. Hopefully next year will be kinder to it!