It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:01 pm 

I've been troubled with moths inside my house for the past 9 months. I had pest control guys come out, but they say nothing can be done but due diligence in getting rid of them. I've got brown spots over my walls from swapping the moths and although I clean the affected area immediately after, I still haven't been able to rid my house of moths. They've become a nuisance and I'm concerned about them damaging my persian carpets. Any ideas as to damage control and getting rid of the moths?

Post subject: Moths in su casa
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:46 pm 

I love moths and have dozens in my house also....I don't have persian carpets either. I turn on my porchlights right before dark and go check them out as the nights wear on. I don't kill moths for they are all beautiful and special. It may sound funny but maybe at night you should open some windows with all and every light inside off with nearby outside lights on...not too nearby but close enough to where they will seek out and leave your dwelling......it might work...it was the first thing that came to my mind....good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:05 am 

:lol:

We get an occasional moth in the house.

It provides a couple hours entertainment for our younger cat.

Then she catches it and it won't play any more.

Farin, maybe you need a kitty?

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject: d-limonene - Orange TKO
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:54 pm 

I had a problem with the little moths in my house and got rid of them when I treated for fleas. Get some Orange TKO, which is d-limonene concentrate. Mix 1/2 oz. with a half gallon of water and mist spray your carpets, walls, etc. It will kill any moths or other insects that you spray it on directly. I have never had a problem with damaging anything but I guess there's a first time for everything. It's a natural deodorizer and stain remover so I wouldn't use it on your Persian carpets as they are probably a naturally derived dye and the TKO might cause the dyes to biodegrade. The TKO will also pock plexiglas so keep it away from that. Spraying inside your cabinets, along baseboards, etc. will help too. Go to your local Lowe's store in the lawn & garden section or find somewhere else that has it and ask them for the little brochure the company provides. Hopefully they will have them. They are bright orange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:31 pm 

This may be a strange remedy, but it is highly effective. I have battled the same little brown moths. They are extremely attracted to wine, specifically white zinfindel or a pinot grigio. Place a few glasses around the house and they will be full of the little boogers in no time.

Post subject: Wine for moths
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:06 pm 

Well, I've heard of beer for slugs so why not wine for moths? I'm gonna try that next time I get the problem! :lol:

Post subject: Moths in house
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:56 am 

I have found that these moths are sometimes in stored food products that are old. Do you have an old bag of birdseed stored somewhere? Or cereal products? This happened to me with the wheat cat litter product also. Once you discard the infested product, the moths with disapear also.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:12 pm 

I also have problems with those little suckers and as others have posted the bugs love the cereal grain items. Now when I buy cereal, I take it out of the wax paper/cello bag, pour it into a zipper lock bag and put that bag back in the box. They also seem to love dried chile ristras (the edible non-varnished kind) and they've enjoyed my dried New Mexican reds more than I've had a chance to. But even with airtight containers and bags I still get them but found a product that keeps them under control. "REVENGE PANTRY BUG TRAPS" are the best thing I've found that doesn't require constant spraying, dusting or dumping of food every other week. I know they are available at Green Mama's Organic Nursery in NRH but you could probably find them at other organic outlets. It's a foldable cardboard "box" with sticky lining and a little phermone/scent pad you stick inside. Just assemble according to directions, hang or place in the affected areas (kitchen cabinets, pantries, rooms) and the little buggers fly in but don't come out! They last at least 3-4 months and once they're loaded, toss them and open a fresh one. It's the best thing I've found so far as I live in an older home and fighting them had been a constant battle until I found this product. Now I can buy my cereal and eat it too before they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:32 pm 

Keep your eyes peeled for a praying mantis. Bring him inside to snack on your bugs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:58 am 

Have you tried essential oils to control the moths - Essential oils are highly successful - don't usually kill the insects but they don't like the smell - Peppermint would be a very good one - here is some information on bug repellents.

ANTS - Peppermint
APHIDS – Cedarwood, Peppermint, Spearmint
BEETLES – Peppermint, Thyme 
CATERPILLARS - Peppermint 
CUTWORM – Thyme, Sage 
FLEAS – Peppermint. Lemongrass, Lavender 
FLIES – Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sage
GNATS – Patchouli, Cedarwood, Peppermint 
LICE, PLANT – Peppermint,
MOSQUITOES – Lavender, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus, Cypress, Lemon / Orange, Cedar wood, Peppermint, Geranium
MOTHS – Lavender, Peppermint 
SLUGS – Cedarwood, Fir (Pine) 
SNAILS – Cedarwood, Fir (Pine), Patchouli 
TICKS – Clove, Lemongrass, Sage, Thyme
WEEVILS – Cedarwood, Patchouli, Sandalwood

SHOO-FLY Insect Repellent
Basic Formula
Ingredients:
10 drops Geranium
5 drops Cypress
10 drops Cedarwood
5 drops Eucalyptus
1/4 Tsp. Exuberance Conditioner
1/4 Cup Distilled Water
(Increase amounts proportionally for larger supply)
Directions: Mix oils in conditioner, then add to the distilled water and shake well. May be used in a sprayer and applied to hair, skin, or clothing. Excellent for people and pets.

There is more information on the use of therapeutic essential oils at http://antiagingchoices.com/Aromatherapy/home.htm

INSECT  REPELLENT
Mix 4 drops Eucalyptus, 4 drops Lavender, 4 drops Rosemary, 4 drops Tea Tree and use in any of the following ways:

Add to 1 teaspoon witch hazel and 4 teaspoons water in a bottle. Shake before applying directly to skin.

Add to 2 ounces witch hazel and 8 ounces water in a spray bottle. Spray your surroundings and your skin.

Add to 5 teaspoons olive oil. Rub this oil mixture on your skin, especially on those pulse points on neck, wrists, and ankles which seem to attract such critters.

Warning: Don't use this insect repellent on babies. It's a little too harsh for their tender skin. A few drops of Lavender in olive oil would work nicely for young ones.

BUG BITE MIX
You won't be able to get through summer without some bites. Straight Lavender on the bite is a great treatment, but it's also a good idea to keep some of the Bug Bite Mix described below ready-mixed in a bottle for quick and easy application. This recipe also takes advantage of some of the calming properties of Chamomile as well as the anti-itch properties of Eucalyptus. This can be a somewhat aromatic potion.
Blend 2 drops Chamomile, 3 drops Eucalyptus, 3 drops Lavender and use them in the following ways:

Apply straight to the bite
Add to a basin of water for washing the affected skin.
Add the oil blend to 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, which you can dab onto the bites with a cotton ball.
You can also use a drop of Eucalyptus on flea bites.

INSECT BITES / STINGS AND ESSENTIAL OILS
Medical description: A bite or sting from an insect. If you get bit by a poisonous insect or experience any allergic reaction, be sure to see a doctor.

Chamomile, cedarwood, eucalyptus, tea tree, and lavender oils reduce the swelling, itching, and inflammation and help stop allergic responses when you’re bitten or stung by an insect. For mosquito or other tiny insect bites that don’t demand much attention, a simple dab of one of these essential oils provides relief. If you’re bitten by spiders or stung by a bee, use a clay paste that contains essential oils. As the clay dries, it pulls toxins from the bite or sting to the skin’s surface to keep them from spreading. This method is also is good to draw out pus or splinters that are imbedded in your skin.