It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:46 pm 

Tell me exactly how to use pelleted Corn Gluten Meal.

I own a drop spreader which does not have numbers to tell me 10-20 lbs per 1000 sq ft distribution. How do I figure how much to distribute?

Also, Do I spread it out when there is supposed to be at least 5 days of dry weather?

Do I spread it out and then water it in heavily, moderately, or lightly? and then make sure there will be no heavy rain for how many days?

I was going to spread it just before this flooding rain we are having today and tomorrow 9/11 & 9/12 but I didn't. If I had, would it have caused my distribution of CGM to be worthless?

I do this every spring and fall, but I can't seem to remember the exact way of doing this. If you tell me how, I will print this out and put it in my Howard Garrett remedies. None of his explanations go into detail on how to do it. Even on the Information center talks generalities. It doesn't talk specifics on how to distribute this product to be at it's most weed killing potency. I live in Lewisville, TX. Zone 8

Thanks for your help.

perfumfree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:25 am 

No application of corn GLUTEN meal is ever worthless. You might not get full preemergent effect but you are guaranteed to get full fertilizer effect!!!

First let's talk about the spreader. I have a Scotts drop spreader. It hardly works for anything except powdered CGM. When I use it for that, I know how big my yard is so I multiply out how much CGM to use. For example if my yard is 3,000 square feet, I multiply 40 pounds per 1,000 square feet by 3,000 square feet and get 120 pounds. Knowing that I have to apply 120 pounds I really don't need to know what spreader setting to use. I keep applying it as evenly as possible until 120 pounds have disappeared. Then I'm finished. You can use that same theory for any spreader.

Regarding water - apparently CGM works best when it is kept dry for awhile. But if it is not down on the soil, it won't work until it gets there. The only way to be sure it is down on the soil is to water it. So here's the plan: apply it on dry grass, sweep it off the grass by dragging a broom around, then water it enough to dampen it but not to soak into the soil. Then let it stay dry for a week or two.