It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:17 pm 

In my neighborhood, most of the old cultivars of crape myrtles are just now blooming. I think (though my memeory is sketchy) that last year they bloomed earlier than usual. Previous years had also been late). What is your experience? Does the rain/drought cycle so affect the crape myrtles that they may bloom on a different schedule year to year?
Kay in Lakewood, west of White Rock Lake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:55 pm 

I have a very large crepe myrtle that was old and large when I moved to this house eighteen years ago - so I am suspecting it is at least 25-30 years old..and I have some newer ones that I planted about 10 years ago - the old lady bloomed much later, and less abundantly this year than the younger ones. Now, my old lady is a pink crepe myrtle, while the young whipper-snappers are a dark magenta..and that may have something to do with the difference in bloom times. I live in North Dallas, south of LBJ
I think that crepe myrtles have the most beautiful patterns on the bark of almost any shrub/tree in my yard..I thank the first person to figure out that these Chinese natives would do so well in Texas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:05 pm 

My pink 10 year olds all bloomed late this year... some are only now breaking out. Most common comment has been due to the cool, wet June.

Post subject: Crepe Mrytle Leaves
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:13 pm 

I have one crepe mrytle and some of leaves are turning yellow and red. What am I doing wrong??