It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:25 pm 

I need some input here. I receive a wonderful catalog called "Seeds of Change", a company that started out offering organic seeds...and it has grown considerably now, offering plants, foods, and all kinds of other things.
My question is this - how is an organic seed different from a seed that comes from a plant that has not been grown organically?
drchelo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:35 pm 

Organic seeds simply come from plants that have been raised and have reproduced under an organic program. As you probably know, the toxins in synthetic poisons & fertilizers will go directly to and concentrate in the reproductive parts of the plant, hence the seeds. By using organic seeds, you have plants that have not been exposed to these gene changing chemicals. It's no more complex than that. In my experience, the plants grown from these seeds are healthier, the fruits and vegetables taste better and the growth, insect and disease resistance is better. Hope this answers your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:56 pm 

thank you! I grew a bunch of beautiful herbs from "Seeds of Change" called "eschium" that produced the most incredible profusion of many-colored blossoms. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find those through the catalog any more..
I had not thought of toxins being concentrated in the seeds...they do in humans, but I did not make the connection.
Thank you for the explanation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:28 am 

It is definitely true that organically grown seeds are superior to seeds from non-organically grown plants.

However, in my experience I believe growing any type of seed in a totally organic, no-till, aerated compost tea, environment, will supply enough beneficial aerobic bacteria, fungi, actinomycetes, and other microbes and macrobes like earthworms, that you as a gardener, will not see any noticable differences.

Because of mainly economically reasons, I will use any seed that I can get and afford, and then nourish my plants organically from there on in my gardening system.

It's sorta like you can take a baby from a bad drug infested neighborhood, and raise him in a rich, moral, environment, then he may turn out to be a great mature person and contributor to the community.

Then on the other hand, you can take a rich kid from that environment, and raise him around a drug, crime infested neigborhood, and he later he may grow up to be a criminal or a drug dealer himself.

It's more the environment than the seed type, that determines the ultimate goal and health of mature plants or humans in the long run....

(at least that's my opinion about it...)

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:26 pm 

Well, Captain, I really like your posts but I have to make a point; not necessarily to disagree but to bring something to the forum. If a plant produces a seed that has been affected at the genetic level by chemicals that are mutagenic, it will cause a problem in the seed and the plant that grows from it. Liken it to the healthy, supposedly unaffected adult birds of prey who produce weak eggs or offspring because the toxins (primarily DDT) concentrated in their reproductive organs and hence, gave birth to inferior progeny or eggs that were not viable. Same as a child who is affected on that level because of toxins introduced before birth; environments can make a difference but altered genes are rarely defeated. I have raised plants that came from seeds wherever I got them and plants from organic seeds and I believe I saw the difference. It wasn't really apparent until I raised two plants next to one another. Both were raised 100% organically but the ones that came from organic seeds were just better plants; better growth, better disease resistance, better fruit. So I think I have seen the "Proof in the Pudding" so to speak. That's why I don't accept seeds from anyone unless they are organic anymore. So there's my two cents. :D