It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New to everything
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:05 pm 

Hello to all, Thank you Howard. I am new to owning my first home, (read new yard and maintaining it), and organic gardening. I live in Crowley Texas, my soil is clay and rock. Looking forward to learning, researching, experminting and growing. Interested in veggies, shrubs, trees, herbs, and perrinials to grow in my bare back yard.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:26 am 

Hello from Kingwood Texas!
I'm new to Organic Gardening and new to the state of Texas (only six years here). Orignally from California, then I was transplanted to New Jersey, now Texas. I'm in the process of looking to buy a home with space for my potted garden. I love ethnic cooking and my home grown herbs and lettuce gets alot of use in my home. Not sure how I'll be able to keep things going in the sweltering heat of summer, but hoping Dirt Doctor will guide me through it. Looking forward to learning more from everyone!

Post subject: Bought my new home!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:40 pm 

:D Just a little update I found my home and closed on it November 26th! Took almost a year looking for it, but the waiting was worth it! The former owners were not into Organic gardening but did a fine job of selecting plants and organizing the garden. I'll need some help identifying plants, and the former owners introduced me to their good friend who is a master gardener, she'll probably be able to help me identify the plants. Need some help with nourishing the St. Augustine grass, it's dried out and some invasive weeds threaten to take over.

I tell everyone I know about your website, and I know alot of people are seeing the results of my work with you all, and I think we could have an impact on how things are done here in Kingwood!

Really appreciate you all!

Brenda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:01 pm 

I have same question; makes one wonder ?? :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:55 pm 

Hello all,
Greetings from Singapore!
I am a marketing rep for a liquid organic fertilizer, that is made in Singapore. We are looking to expand our market into the US and wondering how to go about it.

We have recently had one of our agents sold 60 containers worth of our product to Walmart; with delivery over a 3 year period.

We are looking for more agents, who are willing to undertake the FDA tests and import directly under their own labels.

We are open to advice from anyone.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:54 am 

Start a thread in an appropriate forum, tell us what the full list of ingredients is, and see what the response is. I would suggest the Gardener Exchange or the Products and Places.

Please show us the list of ingredients, it isn't enough to just say it is organic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:46 pm 

Hi! I am Ron from Central Florida. I have gardened all my life in Indiana and Michigan. This my second season in Florida and it is very frustrating. Tons of insects and disease and the summer is terrible to deal with. I am trying to use organic with more failure than success. I keep plugging away and I guess my knowledge base is growing. I am adding lots of compost and horse manure to improve the sandy soil. Maybe someday I will look back and laugh at it all, bur is not too funny now. Hoping to learn lots!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:42 pm 

Welcome to the site! Are you able to listen to the radio programs on the air in Florida? If not, they can be listened to via links from the dirt doctor site. You can call into the program on Sunday mornings, 8am - 11am Central time and ask Howard about your specific situation 866-444-3478.

We have quite a few members who are in the southeast and I've heard conversations about building up the sandy soil with compost - it sounds like you're on the right track.

When you have questions, look at the various forums and find one that seems most suited. You can either join a conversation in programs (lots and lots of pages of conversations that have probably covered what you're interested in, if you can find them) or start a new thread. You only need to post the question in one forum. Most of the active moderators know to click on "view new posts" so we find anything new that has come up in our area.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:14 pm 

Hi, I'm Donna from east Tx. Looking for people who are like minded in protecting and taking care of mother earth so that we can pass it on to the next generation better than we found it. dd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:26 pm 

Hi you all,
I'm in Pompano Beach FL. Got Started on the butterfly/milkweed thing a couple of years ago. I have now caught the growing bug. My outside garden now has 600 plants if it has a dozen.I had to put that many growing because I was getting eaten out of house and home by all the cats. Apparently I'm on the migration path. Plus I think these butterflies that morph here Imprint on the location.
It's like every year these butterflies must say to each other "Hey, follow me. I know where we can get something to eat and lay our eggs." They just keep coming. Oh, and the kids love seeing all the monarchs. I even put in some pipe plants for the swallowtails. Last summer I had a couple of 'exotics' come in. I have no idea what they were, 5-6" wingspan, iridescent gold ones and blue ones, Looked like something you'd see in a rain forest.
Anyway, now it looks like I may have some kind of leaf blight. Anyone know about this?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:28 pm 

Crud, I just noticed no one has posted here for a year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:19 pm 

Sorry someone missed greeting you!

Quote:
I had to put that many growing because I was getting eaten out of house and home by all the cats.

That was a non sequitur in your post - not sure what cats had to do with the butterflies?

I have a neighbor who has been planting milkweed for butterflies, though it's a small answer to a big void in our enviroment - we used to have 77 acres of woods and prairie nearby, with lots of milkweed, but it sprouted a bunch of houses and there went the milkweed.

Do you have a digital camera for photographing some of your butterflies? I think we'd all enjoy getting a look at your yard and visitors!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:17 pm 

Hello Everyone! I am Jen , my neighbor talks about Dirt Doctor all the time and he seem to be very successful in the garden, so I want to dig around too :D Just getting all my beds ready, this is my second year having a garden. I have some seeds started, lots of peppers from my pal Primo (the developer of the 7-pot Primo pepper!), and lots of marigolds from my flowers last year...and some cotton. I also have chickens, one of which is broody right now and we are expecting to see some chickies around the 17th. Anyway, look forward to visiting the forum when I am not up to my ears in graphics!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:15 pm 

Hello, JenX, you can do us all a favor by making a note on your account about where you are. Texas? Somewhere else? Name your city and state, it makes it easier to answer questions that have to do with the zone you're in, etc.

Welcome to the Dirt Doctor site! And good luck with the garden!