It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:48 pm 

I'm looking at buying a home on 5 acres of land. There's mesquite all over the land, particularly 2-foot tall seedlings. Can you mow over these? Or control with goats? Anyone with experience please advise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Q: Do you have an opinion on "Roller-Chopping" as a way to clear and control mesquite?

A: It's a great way to control cedar but an ineffective way to control mesquite. Cedar won't grow back and the shredded mulch left on the ground is an excellent soil builder. Mesquite will grow back. Best management for mesquite is to leave the big trees alone. Not only are they not a problem, they are beneficial to the soil. On acreage, livestock like the trees. The light shade is comfortable and the animals like the quality of the grass under mesquite trees. On the other hand, mesquites that have been sprayed, chained, or otherwise assaulted will grow back as bushes and NOW you have a problem. The only solution at this point is aggressive grubbing and ripping to remove the the pants. Those who recommend harsh herbicides and diesel are environmental polluters and ineffective to boot.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Mesquite-Mana ... vq3767.htm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:02 pm 

Best time to dig up the mesquite is August. But do it often. I really like to get it up, too, before it produces seed in June. Dig up the nob below the ground. I'm sorry, but we could not get it under control without the local concoction of herbicide and diesel fuel on our 30 acres. We try to use just a dribble. Once you get most of them killed you will have far fewer every year to deal with. I had maybe 6 come up on our production fields last year. Even that won't work with goat thorn. If you do EVERYTHING you will probably still have to keep on it. I welcome any real solution!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:09 pm 

Sorry, I forgot to mention that on our really infested field we hired a man with a backhoe to dig them out. That gave us something we could handle but it is expensive and, of course, you always have new sprouts that are tough as nails.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:33 pm 

If you have really big trees and want to cut them down ,you might be able to make you some money($$),by listing 'em on Craigslist,under the Farm& garden section,or the Free section.Mesquite is great for BBQ wood and for turning on a lathe. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:43 am 

As produce guy said, if your mesquite's are quite big you can make good money by selling them off on craiglist, if they are small and you just want them gone you can rent a brush cutter from an equipment rental and use that.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:11 am 

The New Standard in Mesquite Control. Mesquite is one of the toughest, most invasive brush species in the world. Left alone, it tends to increase in density and detrimental effect.