It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:21 am 

We are debating what size tree to buy for planting in our landscape. We have found some 45 gal (31 inch diameter pot) Shumard red oaks that would add some instant impact to the yard but we are also looking at some shy Shumards that are half that size (and half the cost). We have heard that larger trees are more vulnerable to transplant shock and will take more time to establish and start increasing in size. They will be going in clay soil with lots of rock so digging out a large enough hole is an issue too. What are the pros and cons?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:09 am 

Some of my questions also. Would you mind saying where you bought those big trees? Am shopping now. Don't really want to wait 10 years for a big canopy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:57 am 

I just bought four 10-gallon and two 5-gallon pot size live oaks at the Corsicana Home Depot a couple of weeks ago. They are all on sale.

If you go that route, you maybe in for some work.

The 10-gallon live oaks where root bound like crazy. I had to soak them in a 55 gallon drum half filled with water for about an hour and then use the water hose to spray out and get the roots apart. The actually floated when I first put them in the water. The 5 gallon trees where so much easier to work with and didn't require the extra work or soaking. I just added a little thrive after planting and gave them a good soaking. The bigger trees required a sore back and almost all of the day.

-dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:10 pm 

I'm more patient than most, but I prefer planting trees that are no taller than waist high. Anything bigger is going to have a stunted or challenged root system. I've found that the smaller trees establish quickly and will actually catch up to the "shocked" 3" caliper trees sometimes as quickly as 5 years.