It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:24 am 

I'm looking for a plant that came to me from my grandmother' yard via my mother. This plant originally came from my great-grandmother's yard in Acton, TX in early 1900's. It's a Dianthus species. The common name is Cinnamon Pinks for their very distinct cinnamon fragrance. They're deep red and the plants are low-growing, spreading and old growth is woody. My one clump did not survive the drought. It has been in my family for generations and I would LOVE to find more. None of the nursuries I've checked have even heard of it. Does anyone out there know of a source??? Thanks you.... :wink:

Post subject: Cinnamon Pinks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:09 pm 

Not sure if this will help, but you might try the garden supply category of Froogle.com. I've just been on & you may have to search a bit, but they do have a LOT of Dianthus listed. Who knows, you might even find a nursery that's local, or at least Texas-based. Most of their descriptions list a clove scent, though. You might also try to locate a nursery in or near Acton, too. Good luck.

Post subject: dianthus
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:12 am 

Try taking a piece of the plant including bloom if possible by Wichita Valley Nursery on Southwest Parkway there in Wichita Falls. Paul,the owner,will probably know exactly which variety it is and might even have some in stock. If he's not sure which variety it might be ask him to pass it along to me and I'll be happy to identify it for you and see if a source for it can be located. Hope this will be of some help. T-T-F-N JAYSON