It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Living vicariously
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:55 pm 

All,

I am living in Maryland, dreaming of Texas. I have 17 months left in the USAF and then it's back to the Lone Star State. I own a small, referral only, landscape design company that will be moving to Texas with me. I have been in the Green Industry for almost 10 years now, and have dreams of educating many on the benefits of organic, native, xeriscaping. It's interesting to see the looks on the faces of some of these yankees when I tell them that I can design a beautiful maintainence free garden for them that will give them color throughout the seasons. Organically. I am hoping to find a place in the hill country that I can base my business out of and start a growing nursery that specializes in native plants and organic gardening resources. I am so very glad to find such an active forum on the topic, and to be Texas-focused! I will likely be an active contributor to this resource and I hope that it's around long enough for some of you to visit me at the nursery in the future.

P.S. I fly a Texas flag from my front porch every sunday.

Post subject: Re: Living vicariously
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:21 pm 

Howdy Vardener, :D

Welcome To OR Back to Texas?
Any spot you pick in the Hill Country will fill your needs and wants.
Organic Gardening, Good Cooking, Great Music and a Healthy Family Life will be found here.

Here in Texas we'll let'cha fly your Texas State Flag any day, all day if you want. :!: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:55 pm 
I can't tell you how many people asked me why I fly a Puerto Rico flag. I can't stand Maryland. I was born and raised in Austin. My father graduated from high school in Austin and then worked at Armadillo World HQ for the next 5 or so years while "attending" UT. I got my green thumbs from him. I want him to run my nursery when I get it up, but I think he wants to move to Olympia, WA. He says it reminds him of Austin back in the 70's. I'd like to be somewhere between SA and Austin, but north of I35. Who knows?

Post subject: Tx vs Wa
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:53 pm 

Vardenar:

Sounds like a toss up plan in the making.

I'm sure Washington is nice but Texas will always be home. Roots are too deep.

If I had my druthers I'd stay out of SA and Austin proper. Give me the Hill Country any day.

You said you wanted to stay North of I35; better grab a road map as I35 runs North and South. Stay West of I35 for the Hill Country.

Do a Goggle search for Tx-DOT.gov to obtain info on Texas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:26 am 

Have you thought about locating east of Waco, like College Station maybe? There are lots of organic/native nurseries in the hill country, but none around here, selling plants for this area! I know, it's not nearly as nice here and if I had my druthers I'd rather live in the hill country too. But since we all can't live there, we need organic/native nurseries here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:15 am 
I guess I should have been more clear in my post. I grew up in Austin. Lived in the same house and watched the trees my father planted grow for 20 years, then moved away. When I said north of I35, I meant between Austin and SA. north of San Marcos and New Braunfels. I am not set on any given location. I want to be in Texas first, Hill country second. If the College station area shows it's in need of a good organic garden center, I may end up there. I am pretty confident that if this is what God wants me to do, I'll be where he wants me to be. I sure hope it's in Texas, though.

I have recently decided to start my nursery now, out of my back yard. I may not be coming to Texas with my plant stock, but at least I'll have more experience selling plants for myself. I'll start at farmers markets and organic food stores around here (at leat 5 of each that I know of, and see how that does. I love to do designs and the nursery part of it is sort of a means to cut costs for me as a designer/installer.

I hope to learn alot from this site. I would be willing to pull weeds and beetles for the rest of my life than poison my environment with herbicides and pesticides.

I don't, however, fertilize at all. I think I read a recent article by Jerry Baker and he mentioned teas. That's the first I have heard of anything other than soil ammendments for fertilization.

I will be paying attention and asking questions.

Thanks guys and gals.

James