It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:07 am 

I stopped using a gas mower a few moths ago in favor of a reel mower. It really works. I'd like to get away from the gas weed whacker next.

Are there any manual weed whackers? Aside from that hockey stick looking sickle. That's not going to work for me. I like to whack along the house and I can just see knocking chucks out of it with that thing.

Even if everything I planted had a bordered bed around it, I'd still have to whack along that.

How can I make it so I just don't have to weed whack? Kill off the grass along the edges with vinegar?

I'm not interested in pulling away the grass by hand each week.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:36 pm 

Do you want to get rid of weeds or are you wanting to cut/edge your grass? You might try electric?
There's lots of new good/better batteries for these trimmers now,make sure you find one with a Lithium Battery. There's also a foot powered edger that looks like a shovel,but with a round "u" shape bottom that cuts the grass,I think (Fiskers) makes it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:56 pm 

Weed whack, weed eat, use a string line trimmer. That kind of thing. I use a Troy Bilt gas string line trimmer now. It's one of those interchangeable types. So, it's my blower and cultivator too. It's a fine product for everything it does. I just don't want to run a gas engine every time I do the yard.

I need to trim around the house and some small beds. Edge the driveway and curb too. We had a flat shovel beat out to be one of those step edgers as a kid. It sucked. I looked at the pizza cutter on a stick at Lowes. I dunno. Maybe that one needed adjustment. It bound up when I tried to work it by hand.

But what can I use to do what a string line trimmer does that isn't a string line trimmer? Or just not have to do much of anything without looking too ragedy. Nothing here is formal garden straight and perfect but, it doesn't need to look ragedy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 pm 

Well first of all, there is the 'ol electic timmer (corded) that was really around in popularity, long before a gas pwered one was... But that involves dragging around a power cord, which I don't care for, and would assume neither would you.

That said, there are several brands of Cordless elctric timmers out there now. And I'm pretty sure that they work decent to well.

As mentioned, look for a lithium ion powered one. The higher the colt, and the larger the battery, (while still being a lithium) the longer that charge should last.

It really doesn't take that much power to weed eat, so whereas the gas engine is running the whole time... the corded electricc is using power only when you depress the button.

I plan to buy one soon, myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:15 pm 

If I go that route, I'll probably get one of the Black and Deckers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:31 pm 

I'd go for whatever is the best bang for your buck, but while also considering product quality.

Search reviews on them, far as I'm concerned: the backbone of one, is going to be the quality of the battery. You would definately want one that is lithium.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:59 am 

I have a dual- line black and decker electric trimmer. Moving a cord is no big deal.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:22 pm 

Hello Organic Community...

I too bought a reel mower (Fiskars Momentum 18") and love it to death. This model, and I expect all of them, can get close enough to my garden edge, and foundation plantings to cut almost all of the vegatation normally remove by whackng. I push towards the boundaries as well as perpendicular to the border. I then follow up with a pair of grass shears for the final surgical cuts. I must admit the mower doesnt do as well along the fence lines due to the handle hiting the fence.

Happy Plantings!

Darryl

Darryl

Organic since Jan 2010
Crape Mrytles Forever!