It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: mud daubers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:30 pm 

I am having a problem trying to keep mud daubers out of my garage. I am home most days and am working in the yard on some project. The ceiling in the garage is finished with texture. Every time I open the garage door there is a stampede of mud dauber going in to do there thing on the ceiling or any other place they like. I have tried cedar shavings and mothballs in pantyhose tied to the front of a fan without sucess.

Any suggesstions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:42 am 

I'm having the opposite problem. I'm trying to encourage mud daubers back to the garage. This year I've only seen a very few of them. The past 2 years were great, but this year's a bust. I work every day in my garage office. I share the same door with the mud daubers and leave it open all the time for them.

Mud daubers eat spiders and are very sociable and beneficial insects. If you leave them alone, they will get to know you and leave you alone. If they are in your garage, it's because they know there's plenty of spiders there. They eat black widow and brown recluse, too.

Post subject: Citronella to repel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:12 pm 

Get Skeeter D'Feeter and spray it around the areas where you just can't tolerate the mud daubers. It will repel but not kill them, and hopefully they will just move to another place on your property as they are protecting you from spiders! I chased mine off my front porch and over to the shady side of my house so I got to keep the benefits without having to dodge them every time I wanted to use my front door! I wouldn't swear to it, but I don't think the spiders are all that crazy about citronella either. Lots of Lowe's stores in Texas have Skeeter but most of the independents who sell organic lawn & garden sell it too. Ya'll have just got to try this stuff. It really works.

Post subject: mud dauber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:49 pm 

I had a problem with mud daubers in my garage also. Evidently my head was in their path everytime I went to get into my car. I closed the windows and doors to the garage and treated with an aerosol bug bomb. It worked well and helped to rid the garage of small roaches (which really were not a problem yet). I continued to notice a dead roach here and there for about two months. Must have been the residual back behind the shelving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:55 am 

thx2ourmen

:shock:
This is an ORGANIC site, seeking organic solutions to problems like this. So unless you are confessing to cleanse the soul... :wink: Read on and you will find a far better (better for you, your family, those around you, and the planet) way to deal with "problems" like this in the future.