It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:47 pm 

Hello!

I am new to the Dirt Doctor forum, but not new to the site! I recently submitted a question about battling winter bluegrass in a St. Augustine lawn in the Gardening and Landscape Forum (“The Empire Strikes Back – How to Eliminate Winter Bluegrass”), but I was kindly referred to the lawn and turfgrass forum. Would this be the right place to ask my convoluted question, or should it be posted in the Weed Forum? Any help, assistance, or feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 pm 

It pulls very easily. Pull the bunches before they grow seeds. I've tried some selective products with minimal success.

My approach with my St Augustine:

1. Try my darnest to keep a plush, healthy turf.

2. Water 1-inch at a time as little as possible.

3. Pull weeds by hand

I've pretty much given up on on any herbsides or pre-emergents, organic or not.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:44 pm 

Hi EAnton,

Thanks so much for your reply, and for sharing your really valuable experience battling winter bluegrass!

I started pulling the bluegrass as soon as it appeared, because I knew of the horrors that awaited in the spring when it started to seed; but it grew so fast, and there was so much of it that even though I was pulling literally all winter long, there's still about 2,000 sq. ft. of it to deal with :shock:.

I tried applying vinegar for the first time in February; but since there was so much, it would have taken quite a bit of money to apply it properly to really kill it off.

So, I'm mowing with the bag, then using the recent gift of a lawn vacuum (yipee!) to go over the lawn to pick up as many loose seeds as possible, and picking up any more seeds I see by hand. And between mowings, I'm removing the plants by the root with the aid of my trusty screwdriver! (I know, it may seem a bit much, but there's no turning back now!)

Another question, please: since you are in Dallas too, do you have areas of St. Augustine that were damaged by the extraordinary snow in March, or do you think it is too early to make a determination?

Thank you so much again! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:03 am 

Damaged is an understatement. My front yard is on life support.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/newforum/root/my-st-augustine-is-not-greening-up-t10981.html

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 pm 

Hang in there - it'll be alright! Henbit, dandelions, and bluegrass - boy, do I ever understand! I know you know this already, but going organic is the best thing you can do! :wink: Corn gluten meal fertilizer has knocked out our henbit problem, and the dandelions are not as horrific as they used to be (and you know about the bluegrass situation)!

We have a few patches of St. Augustine under shade trees that have just today started to show signs of life; so I not only share your concern, but was glad to read the great advice! The lawns will make it!