It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bermuda Seed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:45 pm 

Is there a Bermuda seed that I can overseed my current Bermuda lawn which I think is common Bermuda. When should I plant? I have done a lot of weeding the past year to rehab my lawn and planted rye for the winter. I read the post about celebration and may go that route next summer. Thanks, : )

Post subject: Re: Bermuda Seed
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:03 am 

dpickett wrote:
Is there a Bermuda seed that I can overseed my current Bermuda lawn which I think is common Bermuda. When should I plant? I have done a lot of weeding the past year to rehab my lawn and planted rye for the winter. I read the post about celebration and may go that route next summer. Thanks, : )

I planted Pennington Seed recently. I hope I got the brand name correct. They offer a variety of 'grasses' and I picked a form of Bermuda for my area. I ended up totally replacing the backyard with Celebration Sod. (FYI...Celebration does not come in seed). The front yard was not a total washout. So we replaced the bad areas with St.Augustine. This past week, our temps have reached the 80's and the seed is sprouting beautifully. My front yard will be a 'combo' of St.Augustine and Bermuda in a few places. The St.Augustine will eventually take over, but in the mean time, I have a green yard. Yeah!

I am not an expert on planting seed. I am sure members will give you some good tips. One item is very important though. If you have recently done a weed treatment, you need to wait before planting seed. We had done a post emergent. I emailed the company and they said to wait 8 weeks before seeding.

I am loving the Celebration Sod. We tested the sod in a more shaded, damp area of our yard last November. We missed the growing season and had a wet, cold (snow) winter. The sod is now almost totally green and growing more every day. We had our first mowing yesterday. This sod is not expensive and I definately recommend using an authorized grower.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:48 pm 

Char, thanks for the reply. I'm in The Colony so not far from you. Where did you get the sod from and did they prep for you or what did you do before you put down the sod? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:51 pm 

dpickett wrote:
Char, thanks for the reply. I'm in The Colony so not far from you. Where did you get the sod from and did they prep for you or what did you do before you put down the sod? Thanks.

We got the sod from
Brokers Quality Grass in Carrollton. This is their website:

http://www.brokersqualitygrass.com/types.htm

We thought we could do the prep work. We gave ourselves two weeks. About one week in, it became very obvious to me we needed help. I called the man who was going to lay the sod for us. He sent in a crew to finish the prep work. This man installed our french drains. He knew exactly how to grade our yard for drainage. Then he used a roller to compact the ground. Last year I added a top dressing of peat to our yard. Our soil looked really good. I added molasses and Texas Green Sand. So the men laid the sod, gave it a nice soaking and then rolled it again. The next afternoon I used Calloway's Organic Fertilizer. A few days later I sprayed Thrive. We have been watering every morning. According to the instructions, we need to keep the the sod and soil moist to 3in. deep. Once the sod has rooted, we can do deep root watering once a week.

I do not know if Brokers do prep work. But they do deliver and lay the sod. The website lists the grasses they sell. They do ask 2 days notice for Celebration sod. They sell to landscapers too. So they do sell out quickly. Especially if the weather is nice. We called once at 10 am for St.Augustine and they had already sold out for the day.

This is the website I used for info on prepping the yard:
http://www.sodsolutions.com/homeowners/ ... stallation

I was very impressed with the quality and freshness of their sod. And I am very picky!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:19 am 

Although it sounds like they did the right things to prep Char's lawn, I'm not overly impressed with their website. Some of what they talk about does not apply to Texas lawns. It looks like they copied it out of a book written for the Midwest. But they did do the right things for Char so maybe those guidelines are jiggered around (properly) for Texas yards.

If you already have common bermuda, then you will not need to add more seed. All you need is water, a mower, and fertilizer. Spreading will take care of itself. With an organic program you can apply 20-40 pounds per 1,000 square feet of soy bean meal (or any other ground up meal) once a month. Bermuda can take all the fertilizer you can give it. Water it deeply once a week and mow at the mower's lowest setting.