It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Very Sick Oak trees
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:34 pm 

I don't know if anyone can help or not but my oak trees are dying and I have been told there is nothing that will stop it. I called the Johnson County Extension service and they came to look at my trees and said they have a fungus which is rapidly killing them. The man did not know the name of the fungus (if it matters) but is going to send me some info on it. We live on a little over 1.5 acres and it is covered with mostly "scrub" and Blackjack oaks with some cedar elm and a couple of BoisD'Arc (not killing these tough guys tho!) When this fungus hits them, them die in it seems like as little as 3 weeks! Would the sick tree treatment help? I know it would be rather expensive to treat all of them as we have about 200 but we've already lost 12 or so this year. Help!

Post subject: Re: Very Sick Oak trees
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:24 pm 

It sounds like you need to call an arborist who does this kind of work, or need to get busy trying out the sick tree treatment on the healthy trees and see if it fends off the spread of this fungus.

Howard recommends Moore Tree Care regularly.

Moore Tree Care
6333 Denton Drive
Dallas, TX 75235

214-352-6088
817-416-9995
trees@mooretree.com
http://www.mooretree.com

Moore Tree Care is a proactive tree care and maintenance company providing a multitude of services for the long-term health and vigor of your trees. Moore Lawn & Garden provides excellent residential maintenance and design services.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:27 pm 

Thanks for your answer - I did the sick tree treatment already and we burned most of the "downed" trees. The cold spell seems to have halted it for a little while so hopefully it's over. The extension service said Burleson is covered in this tree fungus so I am surprised no one else is online about it! :o I've tried to call in the radio show about this several times but never able to get through so I really do appreciate your help.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:08 pm 

The trick to getting into radio call in shows is to understand there there is a several second delay built in, in case they have to quickly bleep remarks (this keeps them off the air). If you're listening to a call and it sounds ready to wrap up, be ready on redial and get your call dialed before you actually hear them end the call on the radio. You'll be getting into that window after the disconnection before everyone else dials. (Of course, now I've given away my trick, so I'll have to try harder next time I call in!) ;-D