It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:35 pm 

The portals of entry for the Swine Flu are the nostrils and mouth/throat. It's almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions. Contact with H1N1 is not so much of a problem as proliferation is.

While you are still healthy and not showing any symptoms of H1N1 infection, in order to prevent proliferation, aggravation of symptoms and development of secondary infections, some very simple steps, not fully highlighted in most official communications, can be practiced:

1. Frequent hand-washing with mild soaps or just warm water. Avoid soaps containing bactericides.

2. "Hands-off-the-face" approach. Resist all temptations to touch any part of face.

3. Gargle twice a day with warm salt water. The best product is RealSalt (http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/store/type/21/). H1N1 takes 2-3 days after initial infection in the throat/nasal cavity to proliferate and show characteristic symptoms. Simple gargling prevents proliferation. This simple, inexpensive and powerful preventative method really helps.

4. Clean your nostrils at least once every day with warm water or sea salt water. Blowing the nose hard once a day and swabbing both nostrils with cotton buds dipped in warm salt water is very effective in bringing down viral population.

5. Boost your natural immunity with foods that are rich in Vitamin C. There is strong evidence that vitamins C and D activate the immune system to help prevent the disease. Taking bee pollen from NatureBee (http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/store/type/21/) daily may be the best way to get all the vitamins.

6. Drink as much of warm liquids (tea, coffee, etc) as you can. Drinking warm liquids has the same effect as gargling, but in the reverse direction. They wash off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:27 am 

Another smart tip--don't use "public pens", you know those oh so helpful pens offered to you whenever you need to sign a credit card receipt. At stores, it's often likely someone who used it before you was coughing and sneezing while buying those sickroom essentials. At restaurants, they likely didn't wash their hands after they ate. In either case, using my own pen and frequent hand washing has kept me healthy this year when everyone around me--my own family--has had the flu.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:22 am 

Excellent information, also th response about pens (and putting anything in our hands, mouth, etc). :D

More tips :!: Don't forget the value of white vinegar in cleaning. I used it on our pastures for years to keep insects down and added to grains for the horses (they sweat it and it keeps flies away), etc. Same for fleas. We keep it in a container by the front door, or one with the sanitzer hand wash, and ask people to use it when they come in. Changing our HVAC filters monthly helps, too.

Now, I have used it in a spray bottle all around the house, kitchen, baths, bedrooms, curtains, blinds, shades, etc., with a spray on bedding a couple of times a week, drapes, carpeting, etc. between cleaning/washing. We use it on tubing for a family member using a C-Pap, too.

It's a great product to keep "around," and I take saturated on cloths in a container that I keep in the car, too. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:39 am 

thank you Carol-3.

Can you help those of us who are a bit deficient in experience by providing some dilution and/or coverage rates for your uses of vinegar.....

thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:55 am 

I have to think - :roll:

Have to admit that outdoors, I'm not cautious with this product at all - it's always on my Shopping List I use routinely, and always buy a gallon at a time.

I use it full strength (5% white vinegar, but use 20% on "weeds," and/or grass in walks, etc.).

Indoors, same, but sometimes I just dilute with ordinary tap water depending on my supply. I use about a gallon every couple of months. It is used for all cleaning. 8) Including sanitizing items for someone who is on a BiPap (assistive breathing device).

In regards to the latter, I've read soaking in white vinegar does the 'trick' and some medical ref. say 1/2 and 1/2 water:vinegar, others say all vinegar! I have never known it to harm anyone, or my own sensitive skin; however, if it is not totally removed from something like breathing circuits, it is an irritant - we always rinse well for items like that, after throughly washing in hot soapy water, and a vinegar soak of several hours every two weeks.

Thank you for asking. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:59 am 

thank you. that helps a lot. I was hoping to catch you available because replies often come slowly are not at all. I now have also used the Library which contains an abundance of information. again thank you for responding.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:42 pm 

I think the flu is spread mostly via the mail. Just think how many people touch that mail or sneeze on it. Plus, the mailman comes along touches everyones mailbox and then touches yours. You go get your mail and some bugs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:47 pm 

What about the medicinal uses of apple cider vinegar?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:54 pm 

Remember the ears also... two drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in each ear at first signs of flu symtoms. It helps the body heal itself.

Only once did I keep putting it in my ears two or three days in a row...
trust me, do not do it. Once is usually sufficient.

Did you know that all fruit and vegatables have HP in them? HP seems to act like vit. C.

If immediate results are not noticable I usually will do the process one more time a few hours later.

Also, make sure to only drink purified water.

If it says Purified', by law they are held accountable to have under 9 disolved solids... (per Water Works owner) and always look at the date.

A principal...
knowing the Word, speaking the Word, living the Word is so key.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:02 pm 

Oh, dear! Now, I cannot 'see' the responses, but . . . you are welcome ptmx2 :!:

In re concerns about items that may harbor the NIHI viruses, remember there is a time limit on it's' life-span and the greatest danger is as discussed initially that entering our nares (nose), mouth, and other membranes (wet ones!) from coughs and sneezes :x , which children are the most prone to do, without thinking or burying their mouths in an elbow, etc.

Pathogens replicate in wet environments - and even placing a dry object/cloth on a damp/wet surface permits "bugs" to cross into that dry object/cloth, etc., so keep things dry, and clean, but I wouldn't fret too much about "the mail" etc. other than common sense precautions.

With our air quality today, we all need to keep the sinuses and nares 'rinsed' but at the same time, we develop immunities from low-level, frequent exposure and the present "flu" vaccine is affording some of that for the N1H1, too. :D

Again, MHO only, staying dedicated to "avoiding foods that come in a bag, box, bottle or can" is wise (my own written advice).

Great topic, and I agree about the fast turn-around. I've been 'lost' on other threads. :cry:

Here's good info on "Swine," too: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:09 pm 

I love all the great tips. Regarding the wide use of vinegar for cleaning, etc., Are there any tips on reducing the smell?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:47 pm 

The swine flu spreads similarly to other flu viruses. Therefore, the same things you would do to prevent contracting other airborne viruses, such as washing your hands regularly and avoiding contact with contaminated people or areas, may also help you avoid swine flu infection. If you feel as though you may be infected with the swine flu, visit a health care professional immediately and minimize your contact with other people.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:18 pm 

Yeah what ever happend to Swine Flu? ,the media blew this up so big that everybody thought we were all gonna die,but were all still here?,mmmm who made the most $$$$$ from this????? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:34 pm 

Hello,

It's almost impossible to avoid coming into contact with H1N1 in spite of all precautions.