It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Too many Met Geckos
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:03 pm 

I'm looking for a positive method to rid this creature from my local work areas. In my shop the Met Gecko is a major pest. The constant chirping is 24/7. It is so shrieking, one can't tell where the sound's origin.
They are nasty with their droppings all over the tables, ceiling, walls, tool bins (looks like a mouse dropping but leads with a white speck). No telling what one is to inherent from breathing the dust. Their eggs are found in parts drawers, bins.
Yes, I have moved the security lights from the building to the trees and that has cut to numbers a fraction.
I do not use poisons for anything (plants or bugs) except boric acid in few places because there are too many good bugs, spiders, bees and wasp we need not to disturb, their battle to survive is large enough. Especially the frogs, toads, and the super Anolis carolinensis presents around the house. :?

Post subject: Re: Too many Met Geckos
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:01 am 

I bet you do not have many other harmful insects around, Go into the Gecko business, I bet lots of folks on this site wish they had the lil critters around to help with flies, ect. Collect them up and ship them off, look at it as a positive!
Bradley Watson
www.WatsonRanchOrganic.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:48 pm 

Bradley, I can't imagine anyone would put down a dime for these suckers. Nasty creatures. One good thing between a gecko and roach is the roach doesn't chirp.
You say, "help w/flies", I don't know where that is happening. Flies sleep at nite, if I had to guess, maybe on the cow barn walls after dark where they could be harvested by the gecko?
If you run across a plant that will drive the gecko away, please let it be known. Until I get something that will natural rid them, I'll just continue use the ole fly-swatter and lurk around the out side after 11pm. Three per night is a good hunt. ;) .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:16 pm 

I just did a search on met gecko and came up blank. Do you have a picture?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:26 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
I just did a search on met gecko and came up blank. Do you have a picture?

Thanks David for your search. I should have been a bit more clearer. This Gecko is naturalised in coastal areas of the Mediterranean and I understand this nasty pest was released a short while back in Florida and now the sucker is driving us nuts.
This wikipedia site has the best pic, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarentola_mauritanica
The true science name isTarentola mauritanica, I call them Mediterranean geckos. I'm afraid the suckers are getting my anoles. :x

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:18 pm 

I'm actually sad reading this post. Unless I had THOUSANDS and couldn't walk around without squishing several of these under my feet, I can't imagine ever thinking of them as pests. It's funny too because I often comment on how relaxing and peaceful the gecko "bark" (as I call it) is at night for us with our windows open. I just LOVE them. We also have frogs and ALOT of anoles, and Texas Spineys. I wasn't aware that they preyed on frogs and other lizards, but really it comes down to "survival of the fittest." Our place is about as natural as it gets, and that means if we lose some good guys to some OTHER good guys, that's just how it is. They all feed on insects, so I most definitely won't go around killing one species with a fly swatter. I'll let them all "duke it out" for competition to eat all the nasty mosquitos, flies, and gnats we have! I hope you can find a peaceful and cruelty free solution or at least come to terms with the fact that these are good guys.