It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:02 pm 

:?: Hello everyone:

I have been battleing a huge infestation of soft, white scale type insects on my pittsosporum shrubs in my front yard since last year. The shrubs have been planted for about 5 years, and are beautiful. Apparently, these plants are a delicacy for these bugs!!! I actully lost one of the shrubs last year and do not want to lose these plantings. I realize that this is an organic site: but, I was so worried that I actually called a company to come and spray...didn't work. The company that sprayed told me when I called them back to inform them that their "treatment" did not work, that I must have some type of 'alien scale.' At first, I thought they were trying to be funny, then I found that there really are some "alien scale's". Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks.....Margee in Euless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:55 am 

Are you sure they're not the larval form of ladybugs. These babies look like tiny white dust mops. They then molt into black and orange elongated bugs and then finally transform into the familiar ladybug form. When I first saw ladybug larvae I thought it was scale but I was pleased to learn otherwise. Anyway, if they were on a plant of yours that later died perhaps the ladybug larvae were feeding on the real culprits that were hurting your plants.