It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Verticillium wilt
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:03 am 

Small veggie garden and containers too apparently have Verticillium wilt. (main hits on squash and tomatoes, Better Boy VFNA and Celebrity VFFNTA)

Casual investigation suggests soil rotation, and steralization (sp?).

Was wondering if another method might work.... tilling in hortacurtural (sp?) cornmeal into the garden this fall. Would that kill the fungus in the soil?

Suppose I could empty containers and replinish the soils in order to continue tomatoe gardening next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:35 pm 

I don't have an answer for you as I believe my tomatoes may be suffering from the same thing. At least 1 plant or 2 gets it every year. I really don't know what to do about it. Have tried cornmeal in the soil and in sprays as well as fish emulsion etc and good organic practices. This winter, I will till up and aply more cornmeal to my compost.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject: Verticillium wilt.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:40 pm 

Since post have reconsidered the situation, the problem may simply be the excessive excessive heat.

Changes now considering for next year.

1. Adjust my ph down. It is 8 - 9. Will add, what lime? to drop it to 5.5 or so.

2. Already started tilling goodies into garden, including contents of my compost bins.

3. Will trellis, stake, hog wire cage plants vice the wire cages that don't hold well. That should allow better organization.

4. Considering a few new varieties next year.

5. Found some sun screen cloth online, w/choice of 50%, up in filtering of sunlight. Which should help with the sunburn of both the leaves and tomatoes. (In years past I had better luck planting on east side of house, which blocked afternoon heat). That's the plan anyway.

Have always had problems w/mockingbirds pecking each tomato a bit before moving to the next as the turn red. Netting, all the way to the ground stopped that.

Still have a varmit....possibly roof rats from neighbors yard (again), but have plans for that problem too.