It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:01 pm 

Hi everyone,

Since this summer was so wet, my neighbor's nut grass has over-run my sideyard. I'd like to know if there is anything else I can do (short of tearing out the grass & re-sodding) to get rid of the nut grass. My side yard is about 10 foot by 30 foot.

I have overseeded the sideyard with annual rye.

I have been hand pulling the nut grass as time allows (believe it or not, a golf divot "fixer" helps pull up the runners).

I don't know if I can fix the drainage problem I have: my yard is lower than several yards in the neighborhood, so their yards drain into mine. I have learned that the city can send someone to my house to "assess" drainage problems - but I don't know if the city can force the other homeowners to fix it so their yards don't drain into mine.

My nextdoor neighbor does not maintain his yard. It is overrun with nut grass and other weeds. Mowing his side yard is out - he told me to stop because "someone who knows" told him that the taller the grass is, the less water it needs. Combine that with his tendency to over water... and you have weed central.

Has anyone had any luck with physical barriers to keep nut grass out? I've wondered if putting a brick border or metal flower bed edging right on the property line would keep more nut grass from getting into my yard.

Does anyone have any more suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:53 pm 

Have you tried heavy applications of dry molasses yet? Try double the normal rate in the problem spots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion - I haven't tried dried molasses yet.

I'm going to apply dried molasses this weekend. I checked the on-line library & saw that the application rate is 10 - 20 lbs per 1000 square feet. Should I apply it at a rate of 20 lbs; or double it to 40 lbs?

And, how often should I apply the molasses? Once a month, or now & in the spring?