It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lavender
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:16 pm 

:? Help! Now I am not sure what variety of English Lavender to grow. What I want is a compact (18-24") dense and upright variety that has the blueish flowers, not a bright purple, and has thick, long flowers, with a noticeable fragrance. I have a small garden outside a large window, and am thinking of putting them up against the window, but don't want to hide my other flowers from view. I am afraid Provence variety might be too tall. I think the Sarah Belsinger variety might work according to its description, but have not seen any pictures online of it. The Lodden Blue is pretty in color but has tiny flowers, and I don't think it has a strong fragrance. I also want a plant that will not look ragged in the winter. Any suggestions? Plant elsewhere? Sorry if I am obsessing over lavender and am high maintenance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:13 pm 
Well, if you're looking for a compact variety, you might want to try 'Hidecote'. The flowers are a very dark purple, rather than blue, but very pretty. The foliage is silver and very dense; the blooms are borne on stems that only reach about 10-12" tall at the most. Its one of my favorites.
LFH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:38 pm 

May I interject a question without hijacking flowerlovers thread? I too am interested in a Lavender variety. One that can withstand a direct western exposure. I would consider something that could grow in the 18-36" range. Flowers of blue or purple are fine. A very fragrant variety would be wonderful, if it can take the heat. Its companions would be Lantana, oxalis, yarrow, and purple coneflower.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:35 pm 

Mr. Clean - Any of the lavender varieties can withstand a western exposure. In fact, they do best with at least 8 hours of direct sun. Sachet is very fragrant, yet one of the shorter varieties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:42 pm 

Leslie -
Thank you! I tried to respond last week, but it said "invalid session". If I remember correctly from looking at multiple lavender farm websites, the Hidcote variety is one of the taller intermediate lavendin varieties, unlike the original lavender agustifolia, but maybe I missed something. I really think I am just going to have to find a better location for it. The Hidcote is beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:06 pm 
flowerlover wrote:
Leslie -
Thank you! I tried to respond last week, but it said "invalid session". If I remember correctly from looking at multiple lavender farm websites, the Hidcote variety is one of the taller intermediate lavendin varieties, unlike the original lavender agustifolia, but maybe I missed something. I really think I am just going to have to find a better location for it. The Hidcote is beautiful.

Well, you'll see different ranges listed for the height of 'hidcote' - usually 12-18" (with blooms). I've seen a couple of sites list it as 18-24". It typically stays on the shorter end of that in my experience, at least around here. It is considered a 'dwarf' or compact lavender, considering that other varieties of English Lavender can reach 3-4 feet tall. But you will see some sites list is as "medium". I guess it all depends on what you have to compare it to! Oh, it is also fragrant - to me its just one of the lavenders varieties that has it all.

I believe that there is also a variety called 'Hidcote Blue', which is supposed to be a 12" plant, but may have the flower color you're looking for. I've never grown it, so I can't vouch.

'Munstead' is also a good compact variety - usually grows to 12-15".

Oh, and can I assume you're an AOL user? If so, please read the post on "invalid sessions" in the How to use the Discussion board forum. That should help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:26 pm 

Then the Hidcote is quite a bit shorter than I thought! Wonderful! The Munstead variety is one that I had almost decided on at one point. There was one lavender farm website that was very helpful in designating how tall the actual foliage grew, and then how tall the plants are while in bloom, which was helpful because most give only the height of the foliage.

Thanks for the tip on the invalid session problem. Yes, I have AOL. I did notice it was the first time I had participated from my home email when I had the trouble.