It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:16 am 

I have 7 baby screwbean and honey mesquite trees. I want them to be more tree like as opposed to shrub like. I was wondering when a safe time to begin trimming would be, and also what would be a great organic product to stimulate rapid growth and strength. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:02 pm 

How baby are they? As soon as these trees establish themselves in the soil, they become indestructable. My experience in West Texas was: do anything but use a bull dozer and the tree will live. The mesquites at my work do quite well and they are pruned often (throughout the year). The soil in this area is quite different from West Texas but there mesquites get good growth with manure alone. Also, be carefull when you prune. The thorns can leave you with painful bumps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:46 pm 

Well, one screwbean is a year and a half old and i have had success pruning it,however i was informed it would take maybe 4 years to produce pods. I dropped some black kow composted manure on it and it started dropping leaves. Little did i know it was a nitrogen fixing tree. So, i have laid off the black kow and was wondering if there is anything safer.