It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:03 pm 

I need help. I have most of Howard's books including the comprehensive "Texas Gardening the Natural Way" However there is no mention on any of the books I own, or on this forum, about Septoria which has afflicted my vines, and seems to do so every year. I had previously mis-diagnosed this as early blight. Upon Further analysis and closer inspection I have concluded that Septoria is what's killing my vines. Are there any Organic solutions available to eradicate this?

Thanks
OrganicMike
in Grapevine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:15 am 

They are both a fungal disease and IMO would be treated the same. Spray with Bioform or Garrett Juice and Potassium Bicarb or cornmeal that has been steeped in the water....or any other organic fungicide.

Here's a good link..by the way, this is what my tomato plants have. Keep treating it every 7 dyas. It thrives on moisture which we've had our share of lately.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extens ... rlblht.htm

Both fungi overwinter in plant debris, on seed, or on weeds such as nightshade and horsenettle. Spores of these fungi may be splashed or blown to tomato leaves. Disease development is favored by relatively warm temperatures, abundant rainfall and high relative humidity.

Recommendations: Sanitation measures in the fall will reduce the amount of inoculum available for infection the following year. In the fall, tomato plots should be deep-plowed to bury tomato debris, or dead plants should be removed from the garden and destroyed. Avoid planting tomatoes in the same area of the garden year after year. Clean seed and healthy transplants in the spring also will help control the disease. Both diseases can be controlled effectively with fungicides.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:07 am 

sandih for the reply. I will get to it. have you seen positive results after treating your plants?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:54 pm 

well, it rains shortly after I spray so as of now, no. I suspect that we won't get much more rain so I will start spraying again tomorrow.

Be sure you try to prune out the diseased branches.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan