It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: First robin of spring?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:31 pm 

One of my wife's friends told me yesterday that she saw her first robin of spring last week. I have heard this phrase used since I was a kid growing up in Dallas. It is kind of an interesting statement since the American Robin is a winter resident thoughout the state and nests in approx. the eastern 2/3rds of the state. They are, in fact, much more common in the winter, when local poplations swell from robins that have migrated from the northern part of the country.

Winter flocks can be quite large. I seem to remember a Christmas bird count several years ago on Lake Texhoma that reported over one million robins!

By the way, robins do not really tip their heads to the side to try to hear worms, they are actually trying to get a better view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:54 am 

I've been seeing Robins for a couple of months. In fact, I heard some commotion down the street, about a month ago, and looked outside to see a huge flock of robins flying from yard to yard. They would root around awhile them all fly to the next house. There were so many that you could here them take flight from inside the house and they covered the entire front yard.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:43 am 

They have been year long residents in our neighborhood -NW Plano- for a few years now. But weren't here in the winter previously.

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:14 pm 

We too have robins all year. Even in the Winter when they are gathered in huge flocks, our two pair will still come to our feeders. One of the males is bold enough to wait on our patio, peering into the house, until we put out more dried fruit and mealworms. Last summer he would bring his young and feed them within just a few feet of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:17 am 

do you use speacial feeders for the Robins? Where do you get the mealworms?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:13 am 

Sandih you can purchase mealworms from your wild bird store or from pet stores. My customers tell me the pet stores are more expensive and not as juicy as mine. haa ha. You can also order them direct off the internet.

The feeders for mealworms must be about an inch tall, round and smooth so they can't escape. If you have something already in your house try it, a margarin tub or pyrex dish would work.
I use a screen bottomed hanging tray for the fruit and a place another mealworm feeder lower to the ground. The Robins go to both, so do the Mockingbirds and Wrens. One of these days I'll have Bluebirds too, I just know it!

They are feeding young already so when they visit they're eating a few then gathering as many worms as they can hold in their beak to take home.

Have fun!
Maureen