It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: poinsettias
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:37 pm 

I have several poinsettias from Christmas. I potted them, but they are now losing lower leaves; they all still have red leaves on top. I've never even really tried to keep a poinsettia alive for another year, but since I went to the trouble this year of repotting them, thought I'd at least try. They look pretty straggly - should I cut them off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:05 am 

Cut anything dead or wilted off and gently work some whole ground cornmeal into the potting soil. Keep the soil moist but not wet. Poinsettias are pushed so hard with synthetic fertilizers and pesticides that the roots are week and easily attacked by pathogens. Give it a try but the best option is to toss the plant and get new fresh ones next year. Maybe some grower will take the initiative and provide organically grown plants next. However, don't hold your breath. Much has been written about whether poinsettias are toxic are not. Very little has been written about the fact that the only toxicity is from the chemicals added by the growers.

If I am wrong and there are organic poinsettia growers out there, please let me know.