It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Compost Bins
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:47 pm 

I am looking at buying a bin. I live in a home owners association/community.

First, it says in our HOA handout we cannot compost - will the commercial bins be exceptable.

Second, any recommendations....we just need a small one.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 9:36 pm 

Your first question can only be answered by your HOA. Those things can get sticky.

As for a bin recommendation, I don't have one as I am lucky enough to have a compost pile. Look down further though in this forum, there are several bin/tumbler users. If you don't get a response in this thread, PM one of those people who have mentioned they use a bin or tumbler.

Good luck to you, and I hope you have a favorable resolution with your HOA. Composting has proven a very rewarding experience for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:32 am 

My first compost bin was just a cylinder shaped chicken wire bin, that was close to the classic 1 cubic yard (3'x3'x3') dimensions.

I now have a homemade 4'x4'x12' pallet bin as my starting and mixing bin.

Then I cart the stuff in my 2-wheel garden cart, sometimes weekly, over to several long stockpile compost windrows. Here it is further cured until it is mature compost for personal storage or for selling to my customers.

You can make a great compost bin out of a large plastic trash can with lots of holes drilled through it all over for constant aeration for the composting microbes.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:09 am 

CaptainCompostAl's suggestion with the plastic trash can might just be the answer. It's a STEALTH compost bin! If you can keep it in the same area as the rest of your trash cans, who would know...

This post is not intended to promote the breaking of your HOA rules and regulations :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:42 pm 

WalMart has black plastic trash cans for $3.97. I use them to keep my saw dust in and transport manure from a friend's horse facility. They would do well for this.

Post subject: Re: Compost Bins
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 6:49 pm 

JimKing wrote:
I am looking at buying a bin. I live in a home owners association/community.

First, it says in our HOA handout we cannot compost - will the commercial bins be exceptable.

Second, any recommendations....we just need a small one.

Thanks

You might want to consider worm composting. This may be done in a 10 gallon rubbermaid container purchased at any discount store for around $4.00 using newspaper and kitchen scraps for food. There is an excellent article in the current issue of THE DIRT on this subject.

Post subject: Re: Compost Bins
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:20 pm 

Richard Spitzer wrote:
You might want to consider worm composting.

Another excellent alternative. I just read the article in Dirt this afternoon. It takes up little room and would be very inconspicous. The castings and tea that result are also excellent for fertilizing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:55 pm 

You guys are great!
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 9:21 am 

All earthworms, or bait worms, will work fine for vermicomposting.

The redworms are classically the best for doing the job faster.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:51 pm 

I have to deal with the HOA as well here in Nashville. I just use two plastic 55 gallon cylinders ... no bottoms in them ... and they work great. I have them set at the back of my property, so no one can really see them.

I think the Home Owner Association is more worried about the looks ... well, and what they don't understand about composting obviously. We have a lot of silly rules. I don't know about a no composting rule for my HOA, but I didn't want to risk it. It's away from anyone's home, it doesn't stink, and I don't have wildlife trying to search through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:40 pm 

I'm doing a little stealth composting in a plastic trash can. I'm new to composting. How do you turn it over in this type of container?[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:26 pm 

Zane - I have the best compost turning tool in the world! It is called the "Compost Crank" and it looks like a long augur that you plunge into the middle of the pile, pull up, and it brings up a "core" of compost from the bottom of the pile and brings it to the top. I got mine about 10 years ago from a company out of Phoenix called "Lo-Tech Products". They also sell turing tools at nurseries and garden supply places, or you can ust a pitchfork...
The thing about the commercial turning thingies is that you can use them in a "stealth composting" mode! Also - there is a particularly attractive compost bin made of black plastic that looks like a garbage can, but it is ventilated and lets air in...perfect for the midnight composter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:08 am 

If you have an aerated trash can, all you got to do is roll the barrel in order to mix and aerate the organic matter in the can.

My favorite composting tools is my manure fork and my mattock. I use the mattock to chop up tough thick weeds or fruit in the piles. I use the fork to move the more finer material around.

I try to keep my large 4'x20' windrow stockpiles in a conical, volcano shape, for more aeration for faster decomposition in the piles. Using lots of liquids like urinated rainwater or old compost teas, adds more moisture, nitrogen, and microbes to the mix also for faster decompostion.

My ultimate favorite tool for night composting or gardening is my trusty miners head light. I wear it on my garden hat. It uses 4 rechargable AA batteries, and uses a high beam krypton lightbulb. I can get 2-3 hours of constant lighting anywhere at night with this baby. Love it! It's perfect when you have to turn or aerate piles or make teas after work, late at night before bedtime! (LOL)

William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:35 pm 

Not sure if some of my neighbors would complain if they figured they could - Got a note a while back 'reminding' me not to have my trash can down by the curb (it is an alley for cryin out loud!!!!) before 6pm the night before collection... like I am going to set the alarm.

Anyhoo - i have two compost piles by the driveway that are stealthy in case someone is a pain in my rear.... First, the pile - I dug out a dozen cannas and put them on the street side of the pile - might as well be a lead wall.

Second, when we switched garbage pickup folks out here the old can got left behind since i was out of the country that week and did not want to risk being shot for leaving the can by the curb - so i tool one of those monster trash bins and drilled 300 3/8" holes in it to use as a compost bin and it has become the Hotel Soldier fly - no holes in the lid so the humidity collects on top and waters the top every night.... the soldier fly larvae were a fortunate accident but now i intentionally feed these suckers cornmeal and molasses with the other materials that go in there and they go wild.

If someone complains about your bin be mature, I would absolutely never suggest being immature and vindictive by spraying "BUTTHEAD" on their frontyard with compost tea to ensure a nice green sign letting everyone know they are a problem. DON'T DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!