It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:02 am 

I just did a search to see if the "Pond Medic" was mentioned here in the Dirt Doctor site. I just spotted a photo in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram of him at work in an Arlington park. I'm curious to know more about the work he does. (I live on a creek in Fort Worth and sometimes it gets pretty gnarly out there when we haven't had rain for a while).

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/14867728.htm

Re this thread discussion itself, has this problem of the polluted pond been resolved?

Northwesterner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:07 pm 

Unfortunately, the pond is still not clear. I've not tested for the toxic type algae this spring yet, but it resembles the same kind as last year. Without enzymes and or plants using up the extra phosphorus, it will be a long time I'm afraid. The lack of rain is not helping either I bet. A good gully washer clears it out for a day or so, but then soon as the sun hits it - it is that same old icky algae, just under the surface of the water.

The court case is supposed to hit in August - we'll see if it makes it or is delayed, again.

Thanks for checking - and I wholeheartedly recommend Pond Medics. They seem to really know thier stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:28 pm 

Remember that scene in Erin Brockovich, where she confronts the PG&E attorneys across the table and tells them "we had that water brought here for you specially from Hinkley" ? Take a gallon of your water to court and offer it around. :)

Northwesterner

Post subject: Big Court Date
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:11 pm 

Ahh, the joys of the court system pushed us back to Jan. But it is almost here - Jan 9th is the date they say. Keep us in your prayers. This could end up being used as a future benchmark for others unfortunate enough to have this happen to them. The rain is filling up the pond and the true test will be this spring after the water warms up. Will there have been enough growth of plant materials along the dried up shoreline to use up enough of the algae producing nutrients? We'll see. Pond clean up is expensive and the horses sure miss it, too. Thanks for your thoughts! M

Well, it seemed like it would never get here, and its not here yet, so who knows, but there is a court date set for next Tuesday, Aug. 1 before a judge to help decide who is responsible for the leaking poop that contaminated my pond.

On top of the extra nutrient "load" - with the lack of rain, it is a complete mess and very, very shallow. I guess if they are going to drain it and dredge it, now would be a good time. The spring must be pretty slow, too as it is lower than I've seen it.

Thanks for all of your support and prayers. I hope this finally gets resolved. And I do in fact still have a mason jar of the original water from the week it happend. Might just have to box it up and tuck it under my arm...... :wink: