It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

What do you think about Dirt Magazine online vs in the mail?
Love it! 21%  21%  [ 16 ]
Like it. 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Undecided. 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
I wish we could go back to a printed edition. 44%  44%  [ 33 ]
Very dissatisfied and will not renew. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:57 am 

My answer wasn't on the list. Put me down for...

Read the first one in hard cover, read the second one, too, but just skimmed through it. Never read any of the rest. I don't read the electronic version either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:47 am 

DD announced that if you want a printed copy sent to you, call 817-461-9206.

Pat Akin

Post subject: DIRT
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:37 am 

I think a good majority of us ARE concerned with the conservation of natural resources such as paper. I think if Dirt Doctor does offer printed versions it should be 100% compostable, maybe even partially recycled or fully recycled paper and non toxic ink. I never saw the original one but it was probably already fully compostable.

One benefit of the online version is the ability to re-print should the original get wet, DIRTy (no pun intended), eaten by the dog, or other reason.

I WOULD like to see a SITE SEARCH capability for the members of the ground crew. I have seen alot of people say they have trouble finding information within the site. We need a search like the one on the forums that includes the rest of the site as well as past issues of the online DIRT magazine. If we had ways to easily search all of them it would certainly be easier to locate what we need rather than flipping through a few years worth of magazines to try to find an article. I can't imagine keeping that many of them anyway laying around.

I DO agree that I enjoy reading paper copy of some information. Even the healthy magazines at the health food store get read multiple times before the next one comes out. I tend to read DIRT once and forget it until the next month just as another person indicated. I do go back and look up information though from time to time.

I think the hands on document experience is going to be hard to replace but the online versions having search capability and an unlimited lifetime of the information without piles of paper is definitely desirable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:46 pm 

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/dirt/06januar ... ary_06.htm
:D
Updated version of "The Dirt"! Even for those without a computer! :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: dirt doctor magazine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:33 pm 

Although I appreciate the larger version online...I have about a year's worth to read, whereas I quickly read the magazine version.

It would be nice to have a choice, even if it cost a little more for the option.

Post subject: Poll
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:29 pm 

Personally, I wait expectantly for my other gardening magazine to which I subscribe to come to me in my snailmail box. Reason? I want to sit in my recliner, or in my patio chair looking out over my gardening endeavors to leisurely look at my garden magazines. I do not like sitting in front of a computer to read items I would prefer to enjoy in other places. And I don't want to have to print it myself. It's OK to do both, I guess, but I am not a fan of receiving periodicals in my e-mail box, unless it's just a quick page or 2 - like a newsletter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:55 pm 

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
My answer wasn't on the list. Put me down for...

Read the first one in hard cover, read the second one, too, but just skimmed through it. Never read any of the rest. I don't read the electronic version either.

I read every printed one cover to cover. I would even highlight the stuff I had questions about, or that was of concern to me in some way. Inkjet or laser printer ink smudges if you highlight with a pen. I like the old style (no color) with the holes in it for placing in a 3-ring binder. Lack of color is not an issue for me. Is it for you? Anyone?

At the same time, the electronic one has much to offer. With the change, came the ability to get streaming video on the website, and more.
:wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:28 pm 

I haven't been to this site for a loooooooooooong time because of this issue and my subscription doesn't even expire until Dec 2006.

The last time I visited was after the second online magazine was available. I found it very hard to read because the text was such a light color...something like gray on white. I haven't bothered to look and see if that has changed but, it wouldn't matter to me anyway. I have no desire to read any magazine online.

And, I stopped listening to the radio show as well, because I would get angry about not getting what I paid for...a magazine in my mailbox.

There are many things I do online, such as: personal and business banking, filing tax returns, paying bills and ordering product for my business. These are all things that used to be time consuming before I was able to do them online. I use the internet almost exclusively for business and am not likely to get online for personal interests more than once per week because I am too busy.

The Dirt magazine--I am talking about the one with the color cover--was a way for me to wind down at the end of the day. I always read it at night, lying in bed before going to sleep as I do all of my magazine subscriptions. And, unlike some other posters, I managed to learn at least one thing from every issue.

I miss it.

As for renewing my subscription, I probably will not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:41 pm 

I like the policy that if you need it printed then that is OK but I enjoy it more on line because that is more environmentally responsible.