It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Freeze Warning
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:20 pm 

Im sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I have looked everywhere! Since there is a chance of a light freeze tonight, I am trying to determine what I absolutely need to go cover. Do my beds filled with blooming perinnials need to be covered with every sheet, blanket and towel I own tonight like they did back in February? Mother Nature is not cooperating much lately!

Thank you! :lol:

Post subject: freeze
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:03 am 

rlee-
Sorry no one answered you last pm-I only check in AMs. I didn't cover anything & all looks ok. I DID haul All my plants off the back screened porch, into the house & garage. I drug them all out way back when it was 93 DEGREES!
Patty

Post subject: Re: Freeze Warning
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:19 pm 

rlee wrote:
Im sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I have looked everywhere! Since there is a chance of a light freeze tonight, I am trying to determine what I absolutely need to go cover. Do my beds filled with blooming perinnials need to be covered with every sheet, blanket and towel I own tonight like they did back in February? Mother Nature is not cooperating much lately!

Thank you! :lol:

You did the right thing to post this inquiry here. :wink:

I realize it is a little late, but next time: spraying liquid seaweed is a great protection against a freeze such as this. (To contend with freezing temperatures, around 28 to 32 degrees Fahrenheit for the overnight low then resuming to above freezing during the day). If the plants are native or adapted to the area, this will work. This is not true for tropical plants.

Floating row cover is good to use when we have temperatures below freezing for a more extensive period; using this in conjunction with the seaweed is even better!

That being said, did you have any damage? My rosebuds, the Carolina jessamine buds, and flowers, everything in my garden made it through unscathed. Even without an application of seaweed.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach